Help: Towing 911!! July 7 845pm

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
St. Andrews, Manitoba, Canada
Threw two codes. Turbo sensor position and low rail pressure. Cleared them both and the low fuel one reappears frequently. My egt's are 400 deg higher and power is down. I cranked up my water meth to combat 1300 flat towing. Fuel economy is the same. I am thinking cp3 or turbo? Help.... Five hours from home and have the camper in tow

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Have these codes appeared before?
How far into the throttle were you when the codes appeared
What tune level were you running
do you have any of the "typical/normal" fuel line/rail mods to support your tune
How heavy is your trailer, were you pulling a grade?
When were your fuel filter(s) changed last

Im not the guy for your answer, however answering these q's will help others to help you.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Have you installed a fuel rail pressure relief valve shim kit ? Once the spring that holds the valve closed pops open one time it becomes a prevalent problem. Simple fix, super cheap. But your egt is higher than normal? So maybe fuel is not the issue. Hopefully smarter people give you some input. But if you have not done the fprv shim kit i would highly reccomend it.

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
St. Andrews, Manitoba, Canada
I have doubts that the relief value is the issue in this case. If it was the issue I don't think I would be having the other symptoms once I cleared the code. I think the turbo sensor is more the issue, I think it is running more boost on average but less when I am giving throttle.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sounds like turbo vanes are stuck. Not sure what you can really do about it. Where are you currently?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do you have anything with you so you can datalog what the engine is doing?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Still sounds like a fprv issue for your low rail pressure code. Hopefully you just have a sensor issue, or you couldn't get a better excuse for a shiny new turbo! Hope you make it home.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Did u check for a fuel leak? Is lift pump working? If it's head gaskets it will b bubbling in the resi. Did u try switching tunes?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i say make it home as best and safe as you can as it appears the truck is still drivable. Take it easy on her. Get home and start diagnosing what is causing your problem

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
More than likely it is not your fprv. I have 185,000 miles on my truck and its been at 500+ HP since 10k and I still have my original stock valve. There better on the 06+ trucks. I would lean more towards a turbo vein position issue. Also with a fuel issue you would more than likely be limited to 2000 rpms.