torque converter noise?

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
So I went out and started my truck this morning it was about 25* out truck hasn't ran for about a week, and I hear this noise under it so I crawled under and it was coming from the torque converter area more toward the passenger side.

It sounded like short little bursts of compressed air pretty steady until truck ran for about 5 minutes.

Anybody have any ideas

Transmission is a suncoast stage V about 11 months old with about 5000 miles on it

Torque converter is 1056- 3D still locking harshly on light throttle

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Maybe it's normal torque converter filling with fluid after a long time sitting?

I don't know maybe a dumb question.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Well if it is the vacuum pump, the noise will be on the pass side below the alt. Take the fender liner out and you can see it, looks like a space ship saucer, some are louder than others, If it stops working you will get EGR codes if your tune is stock. The noise doesn't usually go away though....

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Actually my truck is a 2001 non egr so probably won't have air pump?

I stuck my ear right on the transmission while it was doing it and it was coming right from the torque converter area

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
I torqued them to factory specs with loctite. Got the spec from the service manual don't recall exactly what it was right now.

I haven't heard the noise since, and it only did it when it was very cold outside and truck hadn't ran for a week