To Mag-Hytec the diff or not...

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Got one of those truck campers to carry in the bed a few years ago. Well, needless to say, it weighs about 5,500 lbs and then I have a 4 foot hitch extension that reaches out from under that beast to tow my 5,000 lb boat. I guess the tongue weight is about 200-250ish. However at the end of 4 feet, I guess that is quite a bit more. So, being paranoid that I am, I have about 6,000 lbs in the bed rolling down the road at about 12,500 to 13,000 gvw. I'm thinking it might be good to have extra capacity and cooling back there. This summer I'll be carry that thing for about 5,700 miles across some hot areas.
1) Do you think those expensive covers are worth it or over rated for the gains they provide, if any?
2) Any special additives go in the rear like some type of limited slip lube or what ever? I recall my Ford needed something.
3) What is a good fluid to fill it with? Synthetic something I'd guess.
4) Any other good brands out there that are less expensive but still have:
A) O-ring seal
B) Magnetic dipstick AND drain plug (hate covers w/o drain plugs)
C) Finned aluminum with the fins inside and outside the cover for added cooling.
D) Added capacity like Mag-Hytec's (almost double according to Mag)

Last edited:

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
You just want to spend my money?? Love spending my friends money. Are they good to go or only help a little? I.e. lowering temps by like 5 degrees isn't worth 280 buckaroos.

Last edited:

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
The freaking expensive one ($280), why is it always the expensive ones???

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
read one online review said good for "up to" 45 degrees. Don't really know if that is a lot or not? How hot does a diff run? If its at 200-250 degrees, then 45 could be a lot. If they run at like 400 degrees, not so significant. I don't know how hot too hot is. I'll drop the dime and get one if like 250 is hot and 200 is fine, then 45 degrees is significant.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Heat is a major factor in some failures in many parts of a vehicle. If you can keep things cooler, might the part or pieces lasted longer? Maybe, maybe not. If it would drop temps 5 degrees that could add 30K more to the life of your gears and bearings for instance. All these numbers are 100 hypothetical and have no testing or research tagged onto them what so ever BTW.

I don't know what temp the oil get's in a rearend exactly but you ever noticed a diff cover that the paint has came off of it? I would say that diff has got pretty damn hot. Heat is not good when it comes to parts and friction.

Oh and BTW. It costs' so much because it's freakin HUGE!!!!!!!!and it comes with some cool stuff:D

Last edited:

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Found it for $247 shipped. That's about the lowest I can get. I emailed extreme diesel about their $5 price match, so maybe that will come down to $242 + they give you a $20 gift card. Their price is $270 and will match, but not against "hidden rebates". The other site has an "instant" rebate, but extreme might say that's "hidden".

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i did drill and tap a temp sensor in my stock rear end cover, but sorry dont remember want temp it ran. Too many variables too, like size/weight of trailer, terrian, and outdoor temps.

I can tell you that with the cover it is a whole lot faster changing the fluid. And with the cover and a trailer cruising the eway the rear end temp is almost always the same (or very close to) the trans temp.

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Found it for $247 shipped. That's about the lowest I can get. I emailed extreme diesel about their $5 price match, so maybe that will come down to $242 + they give you a $20 gift card. Their price is $270 and will match, but not against "hidden rebates". The other site has an "instant" rebate, but extreme might say that's "hidden".

Serpa, give me a holler. Lets make a deal.

maxedout06

60tuodexam
Mar 16, 2009
Southern California
Serpa, definitely give Chad a call, I just purchased a few items from him and after shopping around his price was the best as was his service. I have one on my truck, just a little insurance. It holds almost double the stock capacity, almost twice the fluid CAN'T hurt. Looks cool, and no need to remove for future fluid changes which means less hassle and you will be more likely to change more often (when needed).

Last edited:

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
i paid $475 for both rear end and trans pan, it was a combo deal...more fluid for lubricating, thats all i could ever see out of the two, dont really see a temp diff. in the trans., rear end im not sure, cant hurt though as they only come with 2 quarts from the factory...

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Serpa, give me a holler. Lets make a deal.

Thanks Chad for taking my Skype call at 10pm Ca time, 8am the next day here in Qatar. Order placed, great guy, even better price than the website! Now only 77 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes left till install.
O-forgot the "coolness" factor. Should look sweet from the rear.
Two quarts from the factory??? Got to be kidding, right?

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Thanks Chad for taking my Skype call at 10pm Ca time, 8am the next day here in Qatar. Order placed, great guy, even better price than the website! Now only 77 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes left till install.
O-forgot the "coolness" factor. Should look sweet from the rear.
Two quarts from the factory??? Got to be kidding, right?

You're welcome! Thanks again for all that you are doing over there for us.

Last edited: