Tire Recommendations

Onefishaway

Aug 9, 2010
Virginia
Looking for some input on what brand of tires to buy. I am currently running Michelin LTX AT2 in 285/75/16. I am going to drop back to 265's. Didn't really want to go with the AT2's again. Only got about 36000 out of them. I don't do any off roading, suspension is stock, except for a little turning on the torsion bars to level the front end. I do pull a bass boat up and down the road a good bit. I was looking at the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 or the Firestone Transforce HT. Anybody with any experience with these brands? Other recommendations?

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I run oversize tires but ProComp also makes smaller sizes. I'm running my 3rd set of Xtreme AT's. The first set got me 130000km (81000 miles) and the second 135000km (84000 miles) From my experience I would recommend them to anyone. Just my $.02

Nick

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
i run goodyear duratracs great tire awsome traction but wear sux got 10000miles on em and gettin low on tread but hook like hell need somethign better myself especially now that the tiwns are almost done

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
:confused:Ya bought them right before we left to Cali. Have about 30k on them now and really like them in the snow. Havn't had them in the mud yet but spring is on its way:D. Was looking at the duratrac and they look alot alike

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
:confused:Ya bought them right before we left to Cali. Have about 30k on them now and really like them in the snow. Havn't had them in the mud yet but spring is on its way:D. Was looking at the duratrac and they look alot alike

i drive real hard and teh duratracs are awsome just wear too fast i beat the shit out of my truck. just looking for somethign that will hook close to as good but last alot longer

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
How often do you rotate your tires? Michelin makes one of the best tires around.36k is pretty good for one of these trucks. If you take care of Michelins they will usually go 40k plus. Personally I run the duratracs because I hunt and fish a lot as well as drive in snow. I keep them rotated every 2500. I have 13k on them and they probably have 70% or so tread left but I don't drive like a dick. No tire will wear well if you beat your truck constantly. Hard breaking and acceleration will exponentially shorten any tires life.

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
they shouldnt wear this bad i dont do burn outs or hard stopping i am hard on the accel but not to the point of smokeing em

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I had some Revos about 3 years ago, I dont know if they have changed or not but I only got about 30k out of them. I'm easy on tires, I got over 60k out of a set of Michelins.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
they shouldnt wear this bad i dont do burn outs or hard stopping i am hard on the accel but not to the point of smokeing em

Just because you aren't doing burnouts doesn't mean a tire shouldn't wear out quick. Hard acceleration will wear a tire out faster than normal driving conditions. Given what you said even a company with a mileage warranty on their tires wouldn't warranty your rubber due to the wear pattern ie abuse. Maybe read some on how tires are constructed and work and you won't beat on them so hard and wonder why they wear out.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I dont care for the duratrac on mainly a road truck. They are a decently soft compound and if not constantly rotated can wear badly. Cant say much for the AT2's but the revo 2's will last a long time. On average the DPS trucks we put them on got 50k out of them rotating ever 10k (that is per their schedual setup).

Sent from my freakin phone Mike L! :hug:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I run oversize tires but ProComp also makes smaller sizes. I'm running my 3rd set of Xtreme AT's. The first set got me 130000km (81000 miles) and the second 135000km (84000 miles) From my experience I would recommend them to anyone. Just my $.02

Nick

another great tire. I got 42k out of my 37s with hard abuse. One of my favs by far

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Love my Duratracs...have close to 35k on them still have tons of tread...but I don't tow at all and don't drive too much like an asshole

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I dont care for the duratrac on mainly a road truck. They are a decently soft compound and if not constantly rotated can wear badly. Cant say much for the AT2's but the revo 2's will last a long time. On average the DPS trucks we put them on got 50k out of them rotating ever 10k (that is per their schedual setup).

Do you have duratracs? If you did you'd know tthey're actually a hard compound stiff walled tire...

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
Love my Duratracs...have close to 35k on them still have tons of tread...but I don't tow at all and don't drive too much like an asshole

i only tow a landscape trailer with 2 zero's on it and thats once maybee 2 times a week
the truck hasnt even seen snow yet have been trying to finish my twin build for the last 2 months been too busy fixing all my plow trucks

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i just picked up a set of bfgoodrich commercial t/a traction 235/85/16s that i put on my pyos same height as 265s but should do better in the snow and get better mpg