Tire pressure vs rolling circumference

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah James, don't you know anything about airing down tires offroad? :rofl:

not a flippin clue. i guess my 8psi in my tracker tires from 20-60mph gps and speedo verified compared to my 30psi in my tracker tires doing 20-60mph gps and speedo verified is false. :rofl:

jason must have an issue with reading now too. he got this part from Jons sentence "If your tire is 104" in circumference, each revolution, you travel 104" but still somehow missed this little unrelated tid bit of info "regardless of how much is flattens on the bottom", but what do i know.

jadatis

Apr 7, 2016
My first answer was a bit short .
And now its late, so will come back to it .
Will try to make a paint-picture of the idea.
Not working at NASA, interest in tirepressure came when we had a motorhome.
Official profession is Optician.

Yesterday I registered to another forum , to react , think the miles/galon from 30 at 39 psi going unexectedly up to 32 at 33 psi , can be explained also by other rolingcircumference.
http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/4-mercedes-benz-cla-forum/5-cla-general-discussion/15068-lower-tire-pressure-better-gas-mileage-me-you-new-post.html

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
So I'm going to mark my tires and deflate one. We will see how far each tire travels. Which will be the same.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
not a flippin clue. i guess my 8psi in my tracker tires from 20-60mph gps and speedo verified compared to my 30psi in my tracker tires doing 20-60mph gps and speedo verified is false. :rofl:

jason must have an issue with reading now too. he got this part from Jons sentence "If your tire is 104" in circumference, each revolution, you travel 104" but still somehow missed this little unrelated tid bit of info "regardless of how much is flattens on the bottom", but what do i know.

nope...you're just grasping to be an asshole, now

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wow I hesitate to get involved in this conversation. But no Street leagal tire will show a difference in diameter due to tire pressure without going to extremes that would cause Severe Tire Damage. Think of the tread as a belt much like a tracked vehicle, round or flat one revolution will still travel the same distance.
Yes a Top Fuel slick does grow but it is designed to do and yes Jason it does act as a sort of constant velocity transmission.
Listen to what Fingers and saying, there are many here that I think of as Brilliant but Fingers seems to be one of the very few that seem to have a grasp on this.:cool2:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
in regards to what James?
I get fingers reference to if the tire is 104" the tire travels 104" per revolution, but when I aired my jeep down on the trail it always changed the rpm to mile per hour ratio for a given gear when I hit the street, vs having them properly aired up...as far as the dragster and burn out reference goes and the science behind centrifugal force, yes James, that is how it works

I don't believe you were seeing a difference here unless the tire was so flat you were actually riding on the wheel:hug: any difference here was probably in your head:D

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
If you change the the pressure in the tire it makes the bottom become flat. This means the radius has changed. That will make it the travel different, on a 30 inch tire you probably would never see the difference unless it is extremely low(considering a 16 inch rim). On I giant tire you would notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I agree with this. Granted it is a soft atv tire and not a truck tire. The theory that the circumference of the tire remains the same makes sense, but it's hard to ignore personal experiences.

On duals you will see the following
The lower psi trie will cup/drag/scrub run hotter in the dual set..
Usually takes 10-15k miles to see the pattern
It's more prevalent when loaded vs unloaded.
Even as little as 1psi can do it.. It also effects the MPG as well..
Most major semi truck companies will do the following, if one of the duals goes bad either both get replaced or a spare with tread depth within say 2-4/32 of the other tire is put on... Tread depth(talking 1" deep tread
New to old/worn tread you talking changing tire diameter of upwards of 2") will do similar wear patterns as psi inflation difference
One can also see difference in road speed as well usually at 65mph it's a less than 1mph difference
Millions of $$$ have been made making products to keep tires in dual sets equal..

While drag slick are definitely show grow/balloning given PSI then say an OTR 22.5 tire.. The both do the same thing

On my hotshot I adjust tire psi to maintain an avg wear patterns across the entire tread.. Too much I burn the center out, too little I burn the sides/shoulders off and heat the sidewall up..this difference can be as little as 5psi. And I only have a 225 wide tire, logic would say for wider tires less psi would be need to change tread patterns

Get into circle/road course applications and you're talking .25psi change to the tires has major effects to the handle of the vehicle.

Now to answer Josh's questions I'm sure it's specific to each tire to find out Xpsi changes circumference Y amount

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
d6b59ca50052ac64ae1c77ac54962186.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My tires don't care how much air is in them at 85, they are the same size.

I ran 55 psi in one set of my cooper st's and they didn't rub any worse (size change) but they lasted longer but you couldn't keep it in the road if you were pushing it in turns or wet roads. I Run 35 psi in this new destroyed set, front cups the same and the back has the center out, but no speedo change, or tire to fender difference.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
So, riddle me this Batman. How does the tire cover more or less than the circumference?

It cant, your right about that for sure. Whatever the circumference is what it is. It can't roll more or less than its circumference of it does a full rotation and doesn't slip or spin, it would be impossible. I see good points to both sides. What would be a good test to do to prove either way? Marking tires like someone said? Maybe trying to get a reading from a speed sensor?

By saying that the circumference is what it is im not saying it won't change with more or less pressure. If the circumference changes is the question.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
There is a very simple way to check how much circumference is affected by tire pressure. Just do a runout test by measuring rolling distance per revolution. I do this with every speedo calibration when tuning. I also check afterward with GPS and mileage distance readings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
So, riddle me this Batman. How does the tire cover more or less than the circumference?

Fine ignore my personal experience stated in post #31
Here's Goodyear's findings
According to Goodyear, under inflation is the #1 cause of tire failure. If the pressure in your duals is not the same, the diameter of the tires will differ. Since duals are bolted together, the smaller tire will be dragged. With just a 5% difference in PSI, the smaller tire will be dragged 13 feet every mile. That reduces MPG and increases the risk of a blow out.

http://www.linkmfg.com/products/cats-eye/

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
And that's why they cup, the tire will wrinkle when it contacts the pavement. So it's not using 100% of every tread block, that's how the circumference is reduced.