Time to buy tires - Input Requested

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I run the D range ones and tow as much as 15-16 k from time to time about 25 miles at a time. If I was towing heavy longer distance and more often, I would go with E range and I KNOW the E range BFG ATs don't last nearly as well as the Ds I'm used to. I'd go with something else then. But for 10k & less the Ds are fine.

Yeah I would say the D range would ride better than the E range too unloaded.

I need to start comparing all these tires. Obviously price and mileage will be big decision makers.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
I ran terra grapplers and loved them. Bought them new, put around 30k on them and they held up great. Ended up selling that truck and the tires were in great shape

Next had the Toyos which were also good, but ended up selling that truck after around 25k. They held up very well too but didnt put too many miles on it so it was hard to tell.

Right now, I'm running the BFG's and really aren't that happy with them. I got them with probably 80% left, and after 15k they are probably at 10%.

I also briefly had the Nitto Trail Grapplers which looked sick but they were mounted on chrome 20's so i very quickly traded for some 17's with AT's. A friend of mine is running them now and really likes them

I really like the look of the General Grabbers and have so far heard good things so would like to try those.

Every time I buy tires I spend a ton of time researching them, when really all I end up doing is buying the ones I wanted or the ones I could get the best deal on. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on them saying which is better, longetivity, etc. so its hard to really decide. My advice, get a name brand set (BFG, Nitto, Toyo, General, etc), find the best deal you can, then just pull the trigger.

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
Mickey Thompson ATZs no doubt!!! Will never buy a different A/T again. MTZs if you want more aggressive

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on them saying which is better, longetivity, etc. so its hard to really decide. My advice, get a name brand set (BFG, Nitto, Toyo, General, etc), find the best deal you can, then just pull the trigger.

Oh I totally agree with you. However, if one tire seems to get consistent comments (good or bad) that would help me with my decision.

May 8, 2011
goodyear duratracs wicked all year tow good and wear nice. if its life your after i have found the best life on kelly safari TSR they look aggressive but there is very little noise on the pavement i have got around 50k one mine and they still have 70-80% tread on them and tow all summer on them ill prob get 4 years out of them mabe 5. The general grabber At2s are a good tire dont wear quite as fast as the bfgs but like the bfgs you need to keep and eye on them an rotate them.

reddogg121212

Mar 8, 2013
If they made them in the size that i need, i'd be getting Cooper Discoverer ATP's but theyre kind of new and have a small selection of sizes. I believe they are also limited to Discount Tire.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The three i always have trouble choosing from are as follows:

Mickey thompson baja atz
Pro comp extreme all terrain
Toyo open country at, now the at2 which looks way better than before and has a treadwear warranty now, so does the pro comp

They are all roughly the same cost, and all have a unique look

Good luck, may the farse be with you

Last edited:

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
I ran the pro comps on my reg cab long bed twin truck running about 670hp tires were amazing but loud and very heavy i ran a 305 60-17 i believe but tire wear was amazing best i have had. my buddy runs the 35's on his jeep and are amazing on and off road but again loud.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I've been running Wild Country XTX's and have been very happy with them. They are quite a bit cheaper than Nitto's or Toyo's and have an 80,000 km warranty. Might be different in the US though. Tires are very quiet on the highway and have good traction on snow. I am running 265/75R16 Load Range E and they ride better than the Toyo M-55's i had before.

http://www.multimiletires.com/tires/Detail.aspx?lineid=238&application=SUV-LT

I read some more and saw that they have a 50,000 mile/48 month warranty.

Last edited:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I had a set of Bridgstone Revo's and also a set of BFG all terrain TA KO's , the BFG's lasted longer road better and were much quieter. If I get another set of all terrain tires they will be BFG's.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I have ran Revo 2's and liked them but they did wear pretty fast. I have BFG Rugged Trail AT's and I don't like them. They wander all over the road. I will probably go back to the Revo 2's.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
When I bought my LB7 last summer, it came with a set of nearly brand new General Grabber AT2's on it. Here's my opinion about them.

They suck. These tires are very loud for an AT. Sounds like I have 4 bad wheel bearings or studded tires on the truck. Wet road traction is terrible. Snow and ice traction is outright scary. They flat spot when parked overnight in my heated garage. But they do look good, and they are wearing like iron, and tread wear is even.

Honestly, I wish these damn things would just wear out already. Replacing them is gonna hurt(10 ply 18's - expensive), but I'm looking forward to having good tires finally. Good tires can make or break a truck. They just have way too much tread life on them for me to justify replacing them.

That1028guy

Feb 23, 2013
St.Louis Mo
Ive got Goodyear Duratracks on my truck, they are great. Aside from a little noise at highway speeds, they did great in the snow, handle mild off pavement well and wear well. They are 295/65/18's there a hell of alot better than the LTB swampers on my 86!