Time to buy tires - Input Requested

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Well it's time to buy new tires. I'm still running the stock rim :( and currently have 265/75R16(Load Range E) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on them. These tires have been good but are very noisey towards the end of their life. I would like to run another A/T tire and would like to know what you guys have had good luck with or which brands to stay away from. I can read all day but I want real feedback from people that drive the same truck I do. Thanks for the input.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I like my trail grapplers but I'm probably going to get terra grapplers or open country ATs.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We ran the Revo II's on a few DPS trucks before i left. Held up better than the old ones and definitely seemed quieter

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
On my 3rd set of BFGs on PYOs (D range). I get 65-70k out of them with 15k rotation and paying close attention to wear pattern for inflation. 8th set overall if I include 3 other GM800 trucks. Another set coming soon. What you use your truck for is gonna make all the difference on tire selection.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
On my 3rd set of BFGs on PYOs (D range). I get 65-70k out of them with 15k rotation and paying close attention to wear pattern for inflation. 8th set overall if I include 3 other GM800 trucks. Another set coming soon. What you use your truck for is gonna make all the difference on tire selection.

True. My truck is my daily driver but I do use it for projects around the house. I don't tow very often but when I do I want to be sure I have the right tire on my truck. I have thought about changing from a load range E to D since most of what I would tow is less than 10,000 pounds. Thoughts?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Depends what climate your in.I love my bfg's all terrains but I sure like the cooper sst'swhat an aggressive tire that doesn't sign going down the road.Also like my Goodyear extremes for summer road driving.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I just punished a set of falken ziex stz/04's. just got a new set of 325/60/18 falken wild peak a/t. They seem quiet on the road and we towed a cc sb duramax about 160 miles on them also. They feel very stable on the highway. My dad runs 285/75/16 terra grapplers and they feel unstable to us. Kinda like the truck floats around, it's a reg cab lbz. I got about 50k miles out of a set of pro comp extreme a/t in a 35x12.50x18. The only thing I didn't like about them was how they drove in the snow. Seemed like they wanted to slide around alot. The falkens I just bought were very good in the 6-8" of snow we just got.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I live in Tennessee so we don't get much snow but when we do get a skiff, I want to be sure the tire I have is good and will hopefully get me home (not sliding around all over the place like some tires I am reading about). Also my Uncle has a cabin in the mountains of North Carolina so I take my truck since we have to go off the pavement to get to it. It's not to bad but it can be a little slick when the rocks on the road are wet. So I need a good tire A/T tire that can get me through this too. Since I mostly drive on the road though, I want an A/T tire that doesn't "sing" too much. So far all have been good suggestions. Keep them coming.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
So far all the tires you guys have been suggesting look good. I guess one thing I need to do is get a price for each one and compare that way too. Again keep them coming.

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
Terra grapplers all day long for anything.. I beat the crap outa mine and they take it.. They wondered on the Rd when I first put em on.. After a month or so they hardened up some and drive jus fine.. 55 psi rear 60 up front.. U won't regret

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Terra grapplers are nice, but they dont last for crap. Ive never had a set last longer than 25k miles. And I dont drive like a moron doing burnouts everywhere.

The reason I used to run them is because, yes, they dont last long....but they were also super cheap! Then they went up in price for some reason, and the value no longer made sense (because they were now the same price as the more expensive tires that lasted longer).

ben

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
My .02. For pavement and towing stability I like Firestone Transforce AT's. I've had good luck with BFG AT's for all around use. For mud and snow off road use I like Cooper Discoverer SST's. Theywork well plowing snow too IMO.

speak2mlv

Jul 23, 2012
I am on my 3rd set of BF Goodrich KO's load range E and will not be putting them back on. I don't feel I am getting my money's worth as far as mileage is concerned. I keep them rotated and a good alignment but I am only getting about 30k out of the tires. I am thinking of trying a set of General Grabber At2's. They have a 60,000 mile mileage warranty. The tread is similar to the KO's and I have been happy with them on the highway and on the trails here is colorado. I know that neither is a heavy lug tire but I just throw on a set of chains when I am in the snow or mud.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
I run the D range ones and tow as much as 15-16 k from time to time about 25 miles at a time. If I was towing heavy longer distance and more often, I would go with E range and I KNOW the E range BFG ATs don't last nearly as well as the Ds I'm used to. I'd go with something else then. But for 10k & less the Ds are fine.