LLY: Time to build the motor

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
udetatyd.jpg

You can see where they stopped the key way.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Sorry got mad and left to eat lunch but yes they did key for the harmonic balancer but look close in the pic above you can see where it stops, right before the gear. And her is the key sitting next to the key way to show you it is only as long as the balancer
2yzavu2a.jpg

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Guess you have to start taking pics to the machine shop this is what I want right here.

Guess so. But the thing is I told them and showed them what to key and the size of keys like you told me Henry, and even in the invoice it says, "key crank balancer and gears.--$125". So idk what the deal is. It wouldn't be that big a deal to me if the truck was closer to them but its 3 1/2 hours away and the back and forth ain't gonna cut it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So they keyed the crank 180 degrees out for the balancer? Am I the only one that thinks that won't work for the balancer?

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
i seen you mentioned balancing your crank. id be interested to know how there balancing yours? how far out it is? and did they purchase or make the bob weights to balance it correctly?

duramax55

???? 7
Feb 2, 2011
florida
Why wouldn't it work for the balancer?

The balancer has one key way cut buy living the stock keys and cutting a key way 180 degrees of I don't thing you would be able to put the balancer on the snout also did you take the cam gear off to see if they put a key on the cam?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why wouldn't it work for the balancer?

The balancer has a counterweight that has to be oriented a certain way. If you put it on 180 degrees out, I don't see how it could be properly balanced unless they cut another keyway in the balancer to match the new keyway in the crank.

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
Repositioning the harmonic balancer is not how you balance a bottom end or rotating assy. the stock harmonic balancer is zero balanced and is meant to go on one way. If you have an aftermarket damper "yes" you can adjust more but it even comes zero balanced.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Repositioning the harmonic balancer is not how you balance a bottom end or rotating assy. the stock harmonic balancer is zero balanced and is meant to go on one way. If you have an aftermarket damper "yes" you can adjust more but it even comes zero balanced.
I'm not sure who you are directing this to, but you seem to be saying two different things here. I'm not sure what you mean by zero balance, but I've always thought and heard zero balance used to mean there is no counter weight. An internally balanced engine has a zero balanced flywheel and harmonic balancer. In which case, it would not matter how it was oriented on the crankshaft.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
The balancer has a counterweight that has to be oriented a certain way. If you put it on 180 degrees out, I don't see how it could be properly balanced unless they cut another keyway in the balancer to match the new keyway in the crank.

Okay I didn't understand what you where saying but yes it does have two key ways in the harmonic balancer. The stock side then the new key way. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Okay got the motor back and just went with a pin because I didn't want to tear the crank back out. Got a few parts on today.
jasatuze.jpg
nybejaha.jpg