Tig welders

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
yeah I agree didn't know he was a beginner. I always try to rig up the foot pedal so I don't have to use the lift arc. I think the dynasty will work great for those projects. It's very user freindly and we've had no problems with it so far. turbo buick makes a good point about being able to upgrade later also

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
yeah I agree didn't know he was a beginner.QUOTE]

I don't know if he is....oops:eek: Guess I could rephrase it as a first machine. You are correct about it being complicated.

My little Lincoln Invertec 160 is a great starter machine but it doesnt have AC and ends up costing about 2G with all the stuff you need for it. A little pricey for a DC only machine

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
How about the fingertip control instead of the foot control? I was feeling a little awkward using it at first, but now I'm getting the hang of it. This will be nice when I'm not able to stand to press the pedal, like roll cages etc.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
How about the fingertip control instead of the foot control? I was feeling a little awkward using it at first, but now I'm getting the hang of it. This will be nice when I'm not able to stand to press the pedal, like roll cages etc.

I much rather use my foot so that I'm free to hold the rig however I want, but you are right. They can be handy for a cage or something where you are laying on your back or whatnot.

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
The finger control and the foot control are personal preferences. I like the foot control and as turbo buick said it gives you more freedom to manipulate the torch however you need it.

However I think that if you want to be a good TIG welder and never be limited that you should have both and be able to use both effectivley. You don't want to comprimise a possibly critical weld because you either don't have the equipment (The finger control is pretty inexpensive considering the cost of the equipment) Or because you have it but never learned how to use it properly. You will be a much better and more capable welder if you learn both that way when you need it you can utilize your equipment and still get a reliable safe strong weld, and you wont be double guessing yourself.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
I guess I'm considered a noobie at TIG.......Last time I really did any was about 7 years ago. I built a couple of intercoolers, and some other stuff while in the "advanced welding" class in high school. I welded alot back then, but it has been a while. I think I'll be able to swing back into it good. We had a Dynasty 200DX at school, I remember when they got it in. It was a sweet machine to use. I respect you guys that weld alot, I consider it an art to be an excellent tig welder!!

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
For those that have used both machines, which would you prefer? Miller Dynasty 200DX or Lincoln Invertec V205-T..... I've been looking over the specs of these 2 machines and they are pretty close to the same as far as I can see. The Lincoln has a higher duty cycle, and is a little cheaper. I might go with the Lincoln since they are close to the same and I have a Lincoln MIG already :D.

Rebelchevy87

Nov 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
We just bought a 2nd Lincoln Precision TIG 275 package here at work, we use it mostly for stainless, aluminum and cold rolled sheet metal production welding, but also some 1/4 Stainless plate. The units work great and all the welders seem to like them.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
How about for the broke guy...

Anyone have experience with the less expensive inverter style TIG machines?

I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but has anyone actually used one?

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
I think the dynasty would probably be better than the invertec. The squarwave tech that the dynasty has is really nice for aluminum and it runs on a lot less amps than many other machines. Make sure you have the proper power and enough amps to run the machine as much as you want to. Plus miller also has suto-line technology which means that you can plug it into any power be it 120 220 480 the machine adjusts to it so you can fry the thing out. lincoln does not have that. Also make sure which ever machine that you get you can easily get consumables for it like tips and cups as they are not all the same. unless you get a weldcraft torch for either machine. Just make sure you can get parts

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Lincoln. And I would suggest water cooled. I did a bunch of welding on iridium cores (you think AL eats tungsten:baby:), and our syncro wave 350 couldnt handle it, it was getting too hot. Our Lincoln 400 amp (I dont remeber model sorry) machine handles high load production and precision(.020 wall thickness tubes) better. Much better arc control. However I have a tig 200 lincoln air cooled I bought it cause we're building a new house and we have a lot of on site SS welding to do, and I hate it, it overheats.

But I don't think a noob could tell the difference:D

Distributor

Jan 7, 2008
S.W. Pa.
One thing to think about is if it ever needs repaired.
The inverter machines are a bunch more money to fix the the transformer based machines.
I have a SyncroWave 250 and absolutly love it. IMHO I wouldnt buyone with out the water cooled option.

Eric

steakman

Diesel Nut...
Aug 31, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
Being a Welder/Fitter for the past 35 yrs..now into sales for a manufacturer..i just gotta put in a plug for what I sell.

ESAB.

Here is our latest entry into the TIG market.

CaddyTig 2200i
230VAC input AC/DC Inverter power source
150 amp 60% duty cycle

Pulse/UpSlope/Downslope/AC Balance control, Q/wave (no Hi Freq continuous for Aluminum welding).

Program memory. :thumb:

Lists at 3600 Full Pkg in Canadian dollars.

Info attached

Stk

Attachments

• Caddy Tig 2200i AC-DC Presentation.pdf
    599.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: