Ticking sound

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Yea but your post does quite the opposite and puts the OP in panic mode. It's more reassuring to hear "completely normal" than "hmm build a tool and trace the tick since we haven't heard of it before"...

As everyone else has said, the typewriter tick is super common. My LBZ has done it for the last 180k miles. Still running, sorry CoCo.....Those of us who have been around long enough know you don't need a piece of f¿©#in garden hose to "diagnose" the problem.

For the record you don't have to "build" anything just grab the longest screwdriver you have stick the blade where the noise is coming from and the handle in your ear and listen! :D

OK , OK
Point taken!

But seriously, "building"....
A piece of paper towel in the end of a heater hose is "building" something?
:roflmao:
You guys crack me up!

And Mack, not everyone has a 2' long or longer screwdriver layin around! Can you imagine climbing in or over the engine bay, engine running, with a 12" long screwdriver and sticking your head against it!

Geez, I thought it was a simple suggestion and being able to pinpoint the source would help to put OP's mind to greater ease...

And rather than assume and blow the noise off to be "normal"
me personally, I like to be sure

But I get it, the typewriter noise is typical
:beer:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
OK , OK

Point taken!

But seriously, "building"....

A piece of paper towel in the end of a heater hose is "building" something?

:roflmao:

You guys crack me up!

And Mack, not everyone has a 2' long or longer screwdriver layin around! Can you imagine climbing in or over the engine bay, engine running, with a 12" long screwdriver and sticking your head against it!

Geez, I thought it was a simple suggestion and being able to pinpoint the source would help to put OP's mind to greater ease...

And rather than assume and blow the noise off to be "normal"

me personally, I like to be sure

But I get it, the typewriter noise is typical

:beer:

It doesn't have to be a screwdriver. Most people have something that's metal and 2' long. Pry bar, magnet, breaker bar, are just a few I can name off the top of my head.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
It doesn't have to be a screwdriver. Most people have something that's metal and 2' long. Pry bar, magnet, breaker bar, are just a few I can name off the top of my head.

It doesn't have to be metal either. A piece of wooden dowel rod works good enough in a pinch or a cut off broom handle. Metal is better but wood works.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Exactly screwdriver is what I use but you get the idea in case others might not have thunk of it. :thumb:

And COCO I personally suggest you use a eyeglass repair screwdriver while your fan is spinning and check out the squeak on the serpentine tensioner! :D

Where is common sense? :confused: