Ticking sound

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So I noticed since my last oil change that my truck is making a ticking sound that seems to be more on the left side of the truck . I cannot for the life of me find out what is causing it. It is fairly loud as well. Anyone have any ideas? It is not throwing any codes besides the P0101 due to my aftermarket CAI.:(

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
You can always take a small hose, like heater hose, and put a piece of paper towel in one end (to diffuse wind) and then use that end to place against the engine, place the other end next to/into your ear and set the end with the paper towel against various places on the block.

This could help you ascertain where the noise is coming from.
Check the valve covers, injector bodies and the bottom of the block. Depending on where the noise is loudest that could help to narrow down your potentials.

The hose should be a 2-3' feet long, it's kinda like a makeshift automotive stethoscope:thumb:

Does the noise your hearing change with RPM? Get louder, or quieter, stay the same or increase repetition with RPM?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Completely normal buddy. Google Duramax tick/knock, it has something to do with oil film and the crank. My old LMM sounded like a crappy type writer after oil changes for about a 1000 miles....

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I like that cocoa has the guy building a gaht damn stethoscope lol. Its most likely the normal typewriter tick. No need to worry.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is it a steady tick or kind of a random one?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I honestly have never experienced it before until this last oil change. It literally sounds like it is coming from the oil filter area. Still no damn error codes besides the damn MAP one. It does kinda seem to change with RPM. I hope it isn't a rod or something.:(. It only has like 54000 on it.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I like that cocoa has the guy building a gaht damn stethoscope lol. Its most likely the normal typewriter tick. No need to worry.

LOL funniest thing I've read on here in a while. XD

:hug:
You guys laugh, but I've done it to put my mind at ease with more than one vehicle, I'm a paranoid little bugger tho
:D

As a side note, I never heard "the tick" from my d-max. The valve train always was quiet as can be, even with fresh oil :thumb:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
:hug:
You guys laugh, but I've done it to put my mind at ease with more than one vehicle, I'm a paranoid little bugger tho
:D

As a side note, I never heard "the tick" from my d-max. The valve train always was quiet as can be, even with fresh oil :thumb:

Yea but your post does quite the opposite and puts the OP in panic mode. It's more reassuring to hear "completely normal" than "hmm build a tool and trace the tick since we haven't heard of it before"...

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
As everyone else has said, the typewriter tick is super common. My LBZ has done it for the last 180k miles. Still running, sorry CoCo.....Those of us who have been around long enough know you don't need a piece of f¿©#in garden hose to "diagnose" the problem.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
For the record you don't have to "build" anything just grab the longest screwdriver you have stick the blade where the noise is coming from and the handle in your ear and listen! :D

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
My LBZ does it as well. Sort of random tick for a minute or so until it warms up a little bit then it goes away. No big deal.