Those dang fpr issues....

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Idle RPMs jumping around by 500 RPMs sounds like something other then the FPR to me.

But unfortunately by bolting a junk duracrap brand FPR on it you need to start over there first. Bosch only for fuel system parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Ok so I am biting the bullet and buying a tech 2. And a Bosch fpr and getting rid of that Duracrap bs that I but in there it’s all they had so I stuck with it ba decision.

I went to three local mechanics two of which were diesel mechanics and nobody has a friggin tech 2

Also the rpms no longer show on the tach it’s just a miss and the rpms stay steady as can be

Or should I buy an efi live system I hear you can run diagnostics on them as well?

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
EFILive can do 99% of the diagnostics a Tech2 can on the Duramax, so for most people it is a better value, since you can tune your truck with it too. Well, that depends on how Chinese of a Tech2 you get, they can get pretty cheap :rofl:

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Ahaha efi live it is I won’t risk running Chinese stuff on my truck I did that once with a duralast fpr. Now I am neck deep in diesel surge ahaha. I was also looking at the ppe timers but I hear they’re not nearly as nice as efilive. I will probably go with the economy tune over the medium I don’t want to kill my transmission next.

Any recommendations of which efi scanner I should get I see a spade a jack I would like to spend roughly 500-600

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I am not as familiar with how the AutoCal handles logging/diagnostics/realtime control vs. the full-on V2. And the full V2 Scan and Tune is $800, which sounds out of your budget.

Anyone know if you can do the DVT stuff with an AutoCal?

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
I could get the ppe standard and it’ll do both but man I would really like the ego it’s kust out of my budget right now. Hopefully somebody sheds some light if the AutoCal will run diagnostics

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Ok I order a new fuel pressure regulator Bosch, a ppe fprv to begin with I also ordered the filter head gasket rebuild. Everything should be in about a week or so and it’ll take me a week or two to get everything taken apart with my work schedule. I’ll keep everybody posted

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Where are you from? Someone with some good Duramax knowledge could save you a lot of money and headache depending on if your located near someone or not.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I am not as familiar with how the AutoCal handles logging/diagnostics/realtime control vs. the full-on V2. And the full V2 Scan and Tune is $800, which sounds out of your budget.

Anyone know if you can do the DVT stuff with an AutoCal?

You cannot if i remember correctly. And realtime logging is alot harder because it was never meant to be done by the end users of an autocal. Id get a v2 from efilive with the scan only option and buy the tuning provisions later on and pick a good tuner (or buy the book on star-lite diesels website and start doing your own tuning). $500 scan only v2 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
I am in los Lunas New Mexico thank you for help. I went to a diesel mechanic today and they’re Fox was put 2 quarts of atf in my tank and I said no thanks.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I am in los Lunas New Mexico thank you for help. I went to a diesel mechanic today and they’re Fox was put 2 quarts of atf in my tank and I said no thanks.

Im located in oklahoma but i travel to west Texas often. I know some good mechanics out that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Awesome I hear Pete’s is pretty good in Belen but I was trying to fix the dang thing on my own. Who do you recommend out this way?

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Alright here is the update it was a bad fpr I replaced it with a Bosch and truck is running top top shape. Easiet way I found to get to the fuel pressure regulator was remove the coolant lines ac compressor and where the fprv is located remove the banjo bolt and force gave me plenty of room to get the fpr in and out in a breeze. It took me roughly 2 hours pulling it apart and 2 hours putting it back together.

Codido187

Dec 4, 2017
Heck yeah thank you everybody for all your help next is finding a good hid kit and front and rear bumper

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
The fuel tables and idle rpm will vary with coolant temperature. And if the ECT sensor is disconnected it will think the coolant temp is very cold. (-40f) So the idle rpm will be raised and all sorts of other strange things will happen because the ECM is trying to compensate for the extreme cold.

Hi I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem. 200 rpm higher idle, and loud like its -30....Plus it cycles the Glow plugs every start for about 7-8 seconds just like it was -30. I have no engine lights either. I don't have a way of scanning so I have to go to a shop Thanks

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Hi I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem. 200 rpm higher idle, and loud like its -30....Plus it cycles the Glow plugs every start for about 7-8 seconds just like it was -30. I have no engine lights either. I don't have a way of scanning so I have to go to a shop Thanks
You will have to check the pids with the scan tool to see what it thinks coolant temp, ambient temperature, etc are.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk