LBZ: Thinking of pulling in the stock class next week

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm thinking of pulling in the St Charles County fair's stock class truck pull on Thursday, and I read Todds tips to blackdirtymax on pulling:

3rd gear, 4 lo
build some boost, stand on the brakes
soft track roll it out a little
tight track, drive it like a drag race.
not sure if you can pull 4th with twins or not.

What to expect: Get ready to drop serious coin :roflmao:

Any different tips for my "stock" single turbo truck? 4th gear instead of third?

Sounds like the best approach would be stand on the brakes & Build boost, let off the brakes a little to start rolling then let 'er eat?

If I pull, I'd definatley log the pull(s). What would be the best Engine & Transmission PIDs to log?

I'm not expecting to break any records or win, since my truck isn't really set up for pulling... Makes decent power, but I'll be running on Bridgestone Dueller Revo2's with like 30% tread left so I'm not expecting to 'stick' all that well. Just interested in giving it a try (for now :)).

The only hangup could be the hitch... I don't have a pulling hitch, and I'd assume they don't have any that can be used. Don't suppose anyone local to me has one I might be able to use?''

Edit: Would this or this hitch work? Only thing on them I'm not sure of is the ID of the D-Ring... Needs to be minimum 3".

Last edited:

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
3rd gear
4 lo
tow/haul on
I just roll into the throttle off the line
The hitches will work. They aren't ideal, but most aren't.
Lower the torsion bars not quite all the way
Add weight as far forward as the rules allow
Cheat. (that's what pulling is all about)
Have fun!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Def stay in 3rd, do not go to 4th.

Weight up as much as you can.

Usually another puller would let you borrow their pulling hitch. At least around here they would. Might just have the announcer ask over the PA "if another puller would lend their hitch to a first timer please bring it to the announcers stand at the beginning of the workstock class" or something to that affect. I'd bet there'll be plenty come help.

Lower air pressure about half of normal in front. Leave rears aired up or about 50-55lbs.

If allowed, use something to block up rear suspension as much as the rules allow. Even a 4x4 strapped in place of the factory bump stops will work temporarily. I'd try to put spring clamps on the rear leafs if you don't have traction bars too. The stock setup can wrap up so much the tires can rub the front of the rear fender liner. :eek:

Last edited:

Cap'n Willis

Yeah . .. We Know
Oct 28, 2010
Salter Path, NC
Get as much weight as you are allowed. What I do is get on the fuel slow until it wants to start moving. Then get on your break and bud egts and boost. Let off of the break and Increase fuel.. I am at 100% throttle by 25 feet out, ease off on your shifts, and you will do fine..
Make sure you have your cv's flat if not negative, your front will come up when you launch.. Have fun!! Your first pull is always the best!! Let her eat bro!!

UPnGONe

Jul 23, 2008
The shore
i would not recommend easing off on shifts, that does nothing for u, and ull lose ur speed if u try and do that

Cap'n Willis

Yeah . .. We Know
Oct 28, 2010
Salter Path, NC
i would not recommend easing off on shifts, that does nothing for u, and ull lose ur speed if u try and do that

From 1st to second I do... Until I deleted it. From 2 to 3 let her roll, but that's just me,, and when I say let off it's only 10% let off.. But yeah if you do a 1st gear delete with my high stall converter, that's the way I like to pull.. But you got to watch out about tying up 1st and second on your launch.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I live pretty close to u and have a hitch u could use. It's nothing fancy but it works good. 3" lunette eye and adjustable. What time and where is this pull? I might skip Waterloo and come to this one.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I live pretty close to u and have a hitch u could use. It's nothing fancy but it works good. 3" lunette eye and adjustable. What time and where is this pull? I might skip Waterloo and come to this one.

That would be awesome. The pull starts at 7pm on Thursday in Wentzville.

Code:
70 West (Bi-pass Wentzville)

Exit 203 Foristell Exit (Hwy T/ Hwy W) 
Turn Right on Hwy W 
Go approx .07 miles 
Turn right on West Meyer Road for 1.9 miles 
Rotary Park is on the Left.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I'm gonna try to get my truck ready for this pull. I'm not too far from wentzville. Is there a stock class and open class? Or just one class for everybody?

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
When i was running my stock turbo i would mat it from the get go. The truck would roll out 10ft and take off. I tried spooling it one time and when i let off the brakes it fell flat on it face and then took off. I never let off my shifts even when i missed 4th and went in neutral and back to 4th at 5k rpms. When I leave the line my foot is planted to the floormat until i stop at the other end

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm gonna try to get my truck ready for this pull. I'm not too far from wentzville. Is there a stock class and open class? Or just one class for everybody?

Good deal! :thumb:

Yes, there's a factory/Stock class on Thursday, and what I believe to be modified on Friday.

Edit: If you have a GT4202R in your sig on your truck that you pull with, I don't think you could pull Thursday night :(. the 4202 has a 2.9" inducer, right? For the Factory/Stock, the inducer can't be larger then 2.6".

Last edited:

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Im with jdlover. I either just stand on it right off the line or i build a little boost and let er rip. No matter how u do it it's fun as hell:thumb:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I've got a TCM loded up with 1st gear delete set up to swap in when I get there... Hopefully it'll work right. Didn't work right in 2H (would start in second when I put it in D, then shift to first, then would shift to second when I started rolling), but seemed to work right in 2L. We'll see how I do. Like I said, I'm not expecting to win or break any records. Should be fun just the same as long as I don't break anything :roflmao:... Although if I do, I can just build it better :thumb:.

I'd try to put spring clamps on the rear leafs if you don't have traction bars too. The stock setup can wrap up so much the tires can rub the front of the rear fender liner. :eek:

Forgive the newb-ness.... But just to be clear, I assume clamp the front of the leaves?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
At the minimum, yes, clamping the front of the leaf spring pack will help. Clamping the don't and rear of each pack would help best IMO.

Mine still wrapped up the spring pack a little even with both clamped & suspension stops but no traction bars.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Just got back from the pull. Pulled a 309' 3rd place first pull! Still can't believe it... Guess now I need to stiffen the front end some and get a pulling hitch. Thanks again Jeremiah for letting me use your hitch!

Truck pulled hard and good, but I'm also ticked... Like a RETARD I forgot to log the run :mad:.

I'll get video up tomorrow... My wife and friend said at first eveyone was thinking 'yeah right' and were real quiet until I put it to the wood and the truck came alive and sounded wicked... Then everyone was cheering like crazy :rofl:.

Edit: I think it was actually 300.59', but both my wife and friend said it was 309' :dontknow:. It was still 3rd place and a pretty darn good first pull.

Last edited: