Thinking of joining the darkside

maddmax95

Feb 1, 2016
Ive recently been in the market for a new diesel. As always first stop was my local Chevy dealer to look at a lml 15 or 16. I've always been a duramax owner my first diesel was my lly. I loved that truck and learned thanks to this site and YouTube alot about my truck. I threw money at it left and right cause I cought the "bug".

But as I was looking at the lml the salesman offered for me to look at a new 17 lariat. I've always known that Ford's have the best interiors by far to Chevy. As I was looking at this truck and even test drove it, the truck truly blew me away. The interior was amazing the performance was amazing. But at the end of the day it's a ford. My biggest drawback on a ford is the lack of do it yourself as far as maintenance and performance to the truck unless you have your own lift or shop to lift the cab to get to everything since it's so damn cramped in the engine bay.

So really I'm at a loss as to keep with my duramax ways or swap to the oval.

What's y'alls honest opinions on both. And for the record if I'm spending 60k on a truck I'm not going to go out on performance for a long time just a basic delete after warranty and a tune and any other need to dos for relaiablity.

So what are y'alls pros and cons.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Do it and don't look back. I love my 15 super duty. It is easier to work on than an LML hands down. They're awesome trucks. The Chevy ride a little better but not enough for me to miss it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
I could list the reasons why I will never own one but simply put Ford=Headache
Dodge=disposable truck
Chevy=cheapest to fix

maddmax95

Feb 1, 2016
How is it easier to work on? Thought you had to take the cab off to get to anything on the powerstroke? That's really my biggest drawback and ride quality.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
How is it easier to work on? Thought you had to take the cab off to get to anything on the powerstroke? That's really my biggest drawback and ride quality.
The turbo's on 6.7 trucks are 100 times easier than any generation Duramax. Cp4 pump access is comparable to an lb7 cp3 pump. Injectors are pretty easy. Big jobs like head gaskets or engine jobs I pull cabs on Duramax too so it's no different there. Except ford cabs are easier to pull.

I do agree about the fuel mileage. Same roads and loads I get about 2 mpg less than most Duramax I've had.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
^^^ some jobs are a lot easier than duramax work.

I can pull the engine cab on in about the same amount of time as I can a duramax. I like the turbo layout but wish Ford would start using better exhaust manifold studs. That job gets tiring after you've done a ton of them.

I too thought about switching to one. Until I've worked on a few Cummins powered units. My buddies new 6.7 mega cab is a nice truck. And they're probably the easiest to wrench on. After 2 crank failures in my lml the inline 6 is looking really good.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
All I own is chevys. But 07 and under. After 08 I think there all the same crap. Pick what you like the most and drive it. My buddy's is pretty nice and I enjoy it. Not sure what I'm going to do when it's time for a new one. Maybe the dodge route

My buddy's 2015 does ride like shit. Compared to my lbz.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I just found out the other day that you can find Laramie 6.7 Rams with the G56 in them........ that is tempting.
I bought one of these last December, I'm now back in a 16 lml HC.. So much better driving experience imo..