thinking about zf6 dmax

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Why does it have to be built? :confused:

Well with the mods going on next month that are in my sig, if I don't build then it wont be very reliable..it's either a SBC DD clutch or a built ally, I'm just trying to see what would be better..people have been talking about the zf6 being geared different than the Allison transmissions so I'm just trying to figure out what will keep me with better mpgs..

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Sorry to bring this back up but my question wasn't ever really answered..will the bigger tires such as a 35" vs a 33" tire give you more mpg due to gearing? I need to know this because I might be going from a 35" tire to a 33-34" tire..

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have always had 315 tires on mine. since rebuilding my engine and adding efi I get an average of 19.5 mpg. That's about a 40:60 mix of city:highway. On straight highway I get between 20 and 21. Sometimes more. So in my experience going to a bigger did not hurt my milage, it may have even bumped it up a little. But my truck is not lifted.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Idk if you'll get worse mpg but I do know you'll be turning more RPM for a given speed with the smaller tires. If that puts you into a less efficient rpm, then your mpg willshow it.

I don't understand why you've done some of the mods you've done if mpg is your concern. They are, in general, in contradiction to your goal. I'm referring to your lift and larger tires/wheels (heavier & more rolling resistance due to larger contact patch).

Milis

Mar 13, 2013
WI
I know im splitting hairs, but think your tach might be off...80mph, 3.73 gears, 35" tires, .74 6th gear is around 2150...and thats provided your tires actually measure to a TRUE 35". (which 315's dont).

Regardless, even a 5-speed allison will still have a lower cruising RPM than a ZF6.

Please explain how is tach could be off?...do the math. 35 inch tires will lower your rpm's by just that much

diesel13'

May 19, 2013
va
is $19k too much for a 03 zf6 ec/sb lt ? has water/meth, 30 over sticks, efi live, bd intercooler and manifold, south bend dual disk, airdog 150, 5'" exhaust

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I searched for months to find one finaly did for half of what it was worth, a rclb power windows and locks I loved it. drove two hours to get it 272,000 miles with a banks stinger kit. had it three weeks got rearended at a stop from a guy doing 60mph. bent the driver framerail and totaled it. bend bad enough my bed broke out my back window. I was hearbroken. looked a lot more and found another way nicer ccsb. love it even more you just have to be patient. its so worth it.