Allison 6sp: Think i broke it..

ken527

Dec 7, 2013
Fleetwood NC
Its the anyplace in the NC area that works on our trucks other than Chevy Dealers?
I live in the Boone NC area. Best to find some one before I need them.
Ken

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Its the anyplace in the NC area that works on our trucks other than Chevy Dealers?
Ken

I'm not exactly sure where he is located in relation to you, but Dustin at Diesel Addiction is a pretty sharp guy on Duramaxes and is somewhere in North Carolina. I've never had any dealings with him personally, but I know several members have used him and been happy with the work he has performed. I'm sure you could find him with a quick google search.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Very possible but you still have a problem in the TC. It will have to come apart for inspection.

Alrighty thanks for you help and insight

Ken
I'm not exactly sure where he is located in relation to you, but Dustin at Diesel Addiction is a pretty sharp guy on Duramaxes and is somewhere in North Carolina. I've never had any dealings with him personally, but I know several members have used him and been happy with the work he has performed. I'm sure you could find him with a quick google search.

Like Josh mentioned Dustin @ diesel addiction is a diesel mechanic by trade and he also tuned my truck. Great guy to talk to and deal with. He is located out on the coast in Wilmington and my truck broke down in Banner elk which is why its at a dealership... Randy Marion in Mooresville has a large truck inventory and the techs there seem fairly knowledgeable.

Just called up there and got the "he's preparing a bill right now, ill call you back in just a minute" line. anxious to see what awaits..

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Front seal failed.. found a crack on the back half of the tcase as well. Between all this I'm just going to get a new case and slip yoke.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Going back to the wiggling tail shaft part, does axle wrap causes this or does the transfer case just wear out in these trucks?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
In my opinion, you probably had a leaking transfer case for a while now. From pump rub, or that crack you found. Probably been running the transfer case dry for a long time and thats what burned everything up. Just a guess from what you have said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I was just under the truck last week draining the water separator and noticed no fluid from the crack, pump rub was takin care of long ago, and there was still fluid dripping around the output seal so i know it was full...

Just want to know if there is something i can do to prevent this happening again down the road. Thanks to everybody for dealing with me and all my noob questions

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
At what point is there "too much" play in The TC bushing for the drive shift slip yoke? Mine is to the point that a new seal only seals for a day or 2 then starts leaking. I can wiggle the drive shift about 1/16th" in any direction. Doesn't physically drip on the ground but the bottom of my truck is covered in oil. Drained my TC the other day and was 1/2 a quart low after about 6000 miles...fluid was clean. I think merchant sell just the back half of the case with the bushing already installed? Is this an appropriate fix or does the TC need to be replaced?

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Subbing. Mine has a little play and I had the pump rub kit installed with my trans last year.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
At what point is there "too much" play in The TC bushing for the drive shift slip yoke? Mine is to the point that a new seal only seals for a day or 2 then starts leaking. I can wiggle the drive shift about 1/16th" in any direction. Doesn't physically drip on the ground but the bottom of my truck is covered in oil. Drained my TC the other day and was 1/2 a quart low after about 6000 miles...fluid was clean. I think merchant sell just the back half of the case with the bushing already installed? Is this an appropriate fix or does the TC need to be replaced?

As you can see from this thread a little wiggle can go a long way... Im gonna replace my whole TC cause i don't want anymore issues. Ain't nobody got time for that