Info: Testing the waters Ally 5spd to 6spd manual swap

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
If you are doing the work yourself, I say go for it. Sure there are issues to overcome, but this isn't rocket science. Then again, if you can do this swap, you could easily build your own allison and save some cake.

Time and time again, people ask for opinions, and help on the forums, and I bet 99% of them never follow through and complete the task in question. Just do it, and like it, or shut it.

The most help that has come out of this thread has been either 'don't do it' or 'build your allison' or 'you're going to need a clutch pedal...' Seriously.

Best of luck with your decision...

My final $0.02, read the manuals, refer to ALL-DATA. Oh, and you need to cut a hole in your floor... Now you're good to go. ;)

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I'm tired of all these ally vs 6spd threads. Some of us prefer to drive ZF's and we don't have interest in smoking the Ally weed the GM salesman got you hooked on when he sold you one. I'm sorry but some of us don't drink cool-aid or smoke ally weed :eek: :rofl:. It's a great trans but it does not let us shift it ourselves and some of us want what we want.

Now to the origonal poster. I've returned your PM and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me or Johnboy. Stumpjumper on the other site has already done the swap and knows the details of handling the tuning issues. He's not on a lot but he is on some.

Last edited:

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Thank you 01 but i guess this thread can just be closed cause its not gonna be worth it with my ruck there is just to much to deal with being push button and all.

The people i have talked with in PM's have made me see just how much this will involve and the costs will be more than building the ally unless the fella that makes the swap kit has it or cheap but i dont think so.

Yes 4800.00 installed for a SC4 kit thats what i was quoted from a very reputable person and if you think its to small an ammount or to large an ammount please voice our opinion here so i can know why.

Also the thing is that i am having a hard time bringing myself to buy a near 5000.00 dollar trans rebuild when i cold either save that or get other things, either way i do want to tow with this truck and i prefer to shift the trans myself but if i have to ill keep the auto.

Please dont give me a you have to pay to play speech i am tired of them i undestand the costs(i own a diesel remember they do cost more than a gas).

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Pricing around here will be the 600 for the R&R and 500 for the rebuild so with the kit costing around 3100 shipped to your door plus fluid and shop supplies your looking around 4200 give or take. This is just in my part of the country

Dont underestimate the ally I have been beating on mine for over 3 years without issues

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I am still on the search for a hand shaker it's been about 3 years now, but they all have been used as farm trucks and have a ton of miles. In that time we have bought 2 Alli trucks and we tow HEAVY, 48 foot 6 horse slant full living quarters 300 gallon of water 1000's of pounds of feed and hay. The LB7 is knockin on 200K now and never had the tranny out with a pretty good tow tune in the whole time

If you want a ZF truck you better just seel your and find a ZF or find someone to trade you.

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
ocosoanoly you can find a zf kicking around on e bay. if i recall last one was about 1800 (used) + shipping
i dont think youll need to change your dash out. just pull the TCM and reprogram your ECU via EFILIVE or the like, pick up the Plastic clutch pedal assembly from the dealer they probably have to order it in for you git your self a SB clutch proably a dull disk if your gona be pulling heavy as far as autotrack transfer case a good pair of wire cutters works;) j/k might have to figure out wich wires engagus the front axle lock and git the right connecter to the manual transfer case ( a much better t case IMO) linkage is easy to fab up or git from a dealer.
crossmembers i THINK are the same you just have to shift to different bolt holes on the frame rails the trans mount itself might be different i cant say

as far as backing up a trailer with a zf peice of cake i run a DD-MAX-FB clutch and can monover 20k around easley all about using 4low! im shur 01Duramax6spd can back me up on this.
its all about personal preference there is a small number of us who want to feal connected while driving our rigs not just put it in drive and mash the pedal to go wich to me is a little borring.

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Thanks for the info, i am looking into the Zf swap kit from a fella that is on the forum.

I etimate its around 5k but i am not sure if i wanna spend that kind of money on a transmission.

I am kicking around the idea of getting a 06 mega cab 6spd 4x4 and doing the long bed conversion, i can trade my truck on it and spend the 5k on the coversion so i have a huge cab my 6 spd and a long bed and i have a truck that i like(dont et me wrong i love the dmax but my second choice thats basically right next to it is the cummins) i have liked them for a while. Dont flame me for that. i think my money would be better spent in that way

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Thanks for the info, i am looking into the Zf swap kit from a fella that is on the forum.

I etimate its around 5k but i am not sure if i wanna spend that kind of money on a transmission.

I am kicking around the idea of getting a 06 mega cab 6spd 4x4 and doing the long bed conversion, i can trade my truck on it and spend the 5k on the coversion so i have a huge cab my 6 spd and a long bed and i have a truck that i like(dont et me wrong i love the dmax but my second choice thats basically right next to it is the cummins) i have liked them for a while. Dont flame me for that. i think my money would be better spent in that way

That is my dream truck right there, One day i will own a 4dr long bed 6spd cummins:D

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I regularly back up 20,000-25,000lbs with mine and at times as much as 35,000lbs. 4Lo works good for reverse. Not required but it's nice.

plus backing a trailer up SUCKS if its more than a jon boat reverse in the zf is almost 15 mph at red line

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
It's under $5K for his whole kit but I don't remember what he told me clutchwise,if one is included. Trans alone was $1750+ core charge for a rebuilt from him but they might have gone up a bit. You can probably get all the peddles and other small parts for under $500 at a salvage yard. Place here in NE has a wrecked ZF truck.
Personally I don't see what prevents one from running an electronic t-case behind a ZF. You can pull the electric crap off a 263 and put a shifter on it. I sold an electric one to a guy who put it in a floor shift truck and it worked. So not sure why a 263 wouldn't work behind a ZF.
I know StumpJumper on the other site was telling me he has under $3500 in his swap. Plus you can sell your Ally for $1250-$1500.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home

Sounds to me like you are very very undecided on what you want to do. 1st you wanted a built Alli, then you wanted to do a 6 speed swap, now a cummins mega cab long bed conversion.

It's time to sit down and weigh the pros and cons of each. Either way it sounds like you will be droppin pretty good money.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I know StumpJumper on the other site was telling me he has under $3500 in his swap. Plus you can sell your Ally for $1250-$1500.

First it was "5+ grand to build an allison just to hold 500hp" and now its "you can get 1500 dollars for a used allison!!"

Core allison is worth 800, if that.

I got 100 bucks that says the OP either gives up and leaves his truck as-is, or he just builds the allison. If he really was that determined and commited to a ZF swap, then he wouldnt have even posted this thread (or the other duplicates on all the other forums); he would have just gone ahead and done it.

ben

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Purple stage 1 is $4930, Purple stage 2 is $6105 and Purple stage 3 is $6890.
I sold my used Ally for $1400 to a Vendor on DP. You better stop digging before the hole caves in on top of you Ben :rofl:

First it was "5+ grand to build an allison just to hold 500hp" and now its "you can get 1500 dollars for a used allison!!"

Core allison is worth 800, if that.

I got 100 bucks that says the OP either gives up and leaves his truck as-is, or he just builds the allison. If he really was that determined and commited to a ZF swap, then he wouldnt have even posted this thread (or the other duplicates on all the other forums); he would have just gone ahead and done it.

ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Purple stage 1 is $4930, Purple stage 2 is $6105 and Purple stage 3 is $6890.
I sold my used Ally for $1400 to a Vendor on DP. You better stop digging before the hole caves in on top of you Ben :rofl:

who was it? I will make a note not to deal with him because hes an idiot.

http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/allison.htm

4280 installed for an allison that will handle way more than the engine will. Sorry, I know its rough there being no love for the lil' ZF :D :p

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
IDK weather he's an idiot or not but I got his money :rofl:. My numbers came of Clints website. It isn't rough Ben,I know who wins more sledpulls consistently :rofl:

who was it? I will make a note not to deal with him because hes an idiot.

http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/allison.htm

4280 installed for an allison that will handle way more than the engine will. Sorry, I know its rough there being no love for the lil' ZF :D :p

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Any mod can close this thread as i have decided what i am going to do an i do not feel like dumpin 4k or more into a trans swap or not so i am just going a different route.

Ben the reason i posted her and in the other forums and decided to post first rather than jump into smething blind without knowing is the fact i do not want to waste any more money, this thread and the others gave me an idea of what the troubles would be and i do not feel like hacking up my truck an sending a shit load of money.

Id rather buy one that cam that way and i have always been partial to the dodge 3500 dually and now there is a long bed conversion for the mega cab so there is my dream truck. Id rather spend 5k on a conversion for a bed than a tranmission and still have to worry if it is gonna go out and have to pay someone to fix, i can do the repairs to a manual myself.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
LMAO ben your right..

Built alli, now a zf-6 swap, now a cummins long bed conversion, whats next?

Better change your sig again james, :rofl:

Last edited:

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
IDK weather he's an idiot or not but I got his money :rofl:. My numbers came of Clints website. It isn't rough Ben,I know who wins more sledpulls consistently :rofl:

Hey man I seen you have done some zf6 swaps etc. Here's the deal a guy is wanting to me trade my zf6 for his stage five ppe with billet input and output shafts. His truck is an 02 cclb mine an 03 rclb. I know I'll need his tcm and have to retune my truck which I planned on to begin with. With mine being a manual tcase and his automatic. Can we keep our xfercases or would we have to swap those out to. As far as drive shafts go would they both work or not? I really need his truck to work right away after the swap(auto to manual) mine(manual to auto) I can deal with as the time comes. Anything you recommend or suggest?