Territorial Dog Help.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
The first nip has always meant the end of dogs at our farm as well. Can't take the chance with how many people show up. We've never let someone else take one either, some have wanted one of them but we wont let them go. It seems like once they bite once they will do it again. The only reason things are a little different with this one is I figured with him being such a young puppy and this being kind of odd that maybe I needed to work with him. These two are the first house dogs I have ever had and I will never have anymore house dogs once we move out of this house.

I remember the teacher at the class I went to praising the muzzle leashes because they pull their head in the opposite direction versus harnesses and collars which when pulled on make the dog want to pull harder.

That's been my experience as well.

A friend told us about the muzzle type leashes, and they have worked for everyone that I know that have tried it.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ya know, my grandfather had/raised/breed Weimaraner's for many years, he always had at least one, and a Doberman. Dobie guarded the house, and Dakota was the bird dog. I lived with my grandparents during one of grandpa's dog breeding phases...

I remember one time one of the pups in the litter was pretty aggressive, feeding time seemed to be a trigger point, play time became less playful and the dog would nip at the hand. I was just a kid then, but I remember my grandfather sitting down on the floor with "troubles" and another pup he had an issue with at feeding time, and setting them up separate bowls, and placing one nug of food at a time in each bowl and letting each dog eat only one at a time until they learned that they each would get enough food for themselves, and they quit clamoring all over themselves and fighting, he did this over and over for quite a while...

As it turns out, both the pups were possessive but one more so than the other, with pretty much everything, and as a result, required extra attention, love and discipline, "troubles" always was the "immature" pup and was one of the last get picked of the litter due to its behavior, but before he was sold he was pretty much trained for a puppy and had quit the biting trend

Just a momentary anecdote from my childhood that I thought may help you in your situation...
the feeding trick, it establishes a few things: order for one, it takes away the feeding frenzy and anxiety animals in multiple animal households feel during feeding time that often leads to inappropriate behavior, it establishes you're the boss and they only get food when you say, it shows them they have something that's theirs, it shows them that you are providing for both of them separately and, if you can pull off rewarding them with petting and proper and timely play surrounding and ending feeding time it will show them you care/love them equally as well, the time spent with the animals during feeding (especially at a young, puppy age) will also nurture a really strong bond between you and your animal, that bond should also lend itself handy when training :thumb:

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
Choker works good if you know how to put it on and train them
A dog should be trained only with it .And not a regular collar.
Practice with a dog in a 20 ft length.back and forth.A dog should never lead you.If he does quick jerk and command to sit .Some will be stubborn but all dogs can be trained if you put the time into it.
My dog always will stay on the side of me or my kids when walking.
dont use a choker if they know how to behave.
And it dont matter if its a full breed or mixed.
Dogs will always test you.My meanest dog is a mix.Very protective
Snarled at my wife one time .Wife took it by the snout and bit her hard on the snout.I laughed so hard she is afraid of her now.
I been around coon dogs to the meanest pit
never had a issue .
You want a hunting dog dont domesticate it
want a house dog train it well and let it be around alot of people

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Choker works good if you know how to put it on and train them
A dog should be trained only with it .And not a regular collar.
Practice with a dog in a 20 ft length.back and forth.A dog should never lead you.If he does quick jerk and command to sit .Some will be stubborn but all dogs can be trained if you put the time into it.
My dog always will stay on the side of me or my kids when walking.
dont use a choker if they know how to behave.
And it dont matter if its a full breed or mixed.
Dogs will always test you.My meanest dog is a mix.Very protective
Snarled at my wife one time .Wife took it by the snout and bit her hard on the snout.I laughed so hard she is afraid of her now.
I been around coon dogs to the meanest pit
never had a issue .
You want a hunting dog dont domesticate it
want a house dog train it well and let it be around alot of people

I trained this one to walk beside me in the class with a spoon and peanut butter. Every time he looked up he got to lick it. Worked pretty good and he stayed right there and focused for the most part.

The female had a habit of being annoying and "play" biting my wifes arms. Not to hurt her, she wasn't being agressive just playing around. Somebody said to bite her back, so I bit her ear one time. Confused the crap out of her and she quit for the most part.

Ya know, my grandfather had/raised/breed Weimaraner's for many years, he always had at least one, and a Doberman. Dobie guarded the house, and Dakota was the bird dog. I lived with my grandparents during one of grandpa's dog breeding phases...

I remember one time one of the pups in the litter was pretty aggressive, feeding time seemed to be a trigger point, play time became less playful and the dog would nip at the hand. I was just a kid then, but I remember my grandfather sitting down on the floor with "troubles" and another pup he had an issue with at feeding time, and setting them up separate bowls, and placing one nug of food at a time in each bowl and letting each dog eat only one at a time until they learned that they each would get enough food for themselves, and they quit clamoring all over themselves and fighting, he did this over and over for quite a while...

As it turns out, both the pups were possessive but one more so than the other, with pretty much everything, and as a result, required extra attention, love and discipline, "troubles" always was the "immature" pup and was one of the last get picked of the litter due to its behavior, but before he was sold he was pretty much trained for a puppy and had quit the biting trend

Just a momentary anecdote from my childhood that I thought may help you in your situation...
the feeding trick, it establishes a few things: order for one, it takes away the feeding frenzy and anxiety animals in multiple animal households feel during feeding time that often leads to inappropriate behavior, it establishes you're the boss and they only get food when you say, it shows them they have something that's theirs, it shows them that you are providing for both of them separately and, if you can pull off rewarding them with petting and proper and timely play surrounding and ending feeding time it will show them you care/love them equally as well, the time spent with the animals during feeding (especially at a young, puppy age) will also nurture a really strong bond between you and your animal, that bond should also lend itself handy when training :thumb:

Thanks for the tip I'll try that one. The last couple nights he's been fine though.

Lbzmax90

Aug 11, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
All of the choke collars I have ever used were worthless. Didn't stop the pulling, only made it hurt the animal.

We switched to a collar which has an attachment like a muzzle. but if they pull, it actually pulls their head in opposite direction. That worked very well on our current 2 lab mixes. No pulling, they listen to commands and stay by your side.

My dogs associate leashes with traveling in the car, and they are all about that.

but like said, every dog is different. One thing will work with one, and make the issue worse on another.

Lots of trial and error with nothing extreme.

Personally, with a young child in my household, the first snip at anyone would ultimately mean the end of the dog. I wouldn't want it around my daughter, and I wouldn't want to sell/give him to somone else that he could turn around and possibly hurt.

Just my thoughts. Not all dogs are good dogs.

I believe its called a gentle leader collar and it is amazing my rot would drag my wife down the street if I didn't have it on him. It really helps to calm him down. I would recommend this for anyone walking a dog that pulls a lot.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I believe its called a gentle leader collar and it is amazing my rot would drag my wife down the street if I didn't have it on him. It really helps to calm him down. I would recommend this for anyone walking a dog that pulls a lot.

Yep thats the one.