Territorial Dog Help.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Those of you that punch slap choke of use VIOLENCE to train a dog or any animal should know that isn't the proper way to train a dog or any animal!

It will take consistency, time and plenty of patience to train a problem dog. If you don't have these traits I suggest you re-home the dog or seek professional help for yourself and the dog.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Ill give you a video later of my dogs..if any of you have trained a working dog I would listen but training a dog to sit and stay and not be a jerk doesnt hold much weight for me.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
First, there is no single thing to do/ not do to train a dog. They are all individuals and frequently take multiple methods to adjust their behavior. Especially if it has taken root over time. But here are some basics:

You MUST be the alpha dog. You do not back off, you do not submit.

You must not tolerate biting. If they nip, you must respond. If done by accident, a quick yell will usually suffice. If done in anger, you must put the dog in submission. First time, every time. You are the boss. Inaction condones the behavior.

Remember that dogs have no sense of time. Only here and now. For example, if they come to you after they have gotten loose, DO NOT yell or beat the dog!! They only know they came and now you beat them for coming. Here is the hard part, once they have come, you have to let them go again. Practice this every day. I realize you have to collar the dog once in a while for your or its safety, but make it so the dog wants to come to you. They are always a good dog when they come. No matter how long it took. Hard to remember some times.

Positive reinforcement when they are good. Remember to be nice after discipline. Again, they don't remember they were bad that morning. Only that you are pissed off now and don't know why.

Most dogs do not respond favorably to beating as discipline. I have one now that likes getting roughed up for instance. "is that all you got?"

In your case:
Food aggression is the tip of the iceberg. Nip it in the bud by sitting with the dog while it eats and pet it. Play with the food. Work up to actually taking the food away then giving it back. Growling not allowed. At you or the other dog. Things like this actually start as fear on the dog's part, not aggression per se. So work on relieving what is driving the fear. Loosing their fair share, not getting attention, being left alone, whatever.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Perfectly said fingers. As hard as it is we have to remember the only time to scold/discipline a dog is when you catch him in the act.

Mackin, while I agree positive reinforcement is the best way to teach service jobs and tricks I don't think it is the way to stop bad behavior. For example if you come around the corner and catch fido with his head buried in the kitchen trash can are you going to call him over for a treat or give him an open hand smack on the ass and a firm NO! To let him know that's bad? Then a few minutes later he'll come find you and you go back to being his best friend. Eventually he'll make the connection that "when I go in the trash my ass hurts, maybe I shouldn't do that". At least my dogs have.

I love my boys and would never be abusive toward them, but they know I'm the boss and they don't rule the house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I dont know if this matters but I have owned pure bred dogs before, or shall I say name brand dogs. My last two dogs were throwaway strays. Best behaved dogs were the stray muts, dam good dogs. Pure breds were good but had more drama. Who knows, my dog now was starving to death on my porch when I met him, now he's overweight and lazy 5 years later, best behaved dog I have ever had. Lab/rott mix, wild looking.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Perfectly said fingers. As hard as it is we have to remember the only time to scold/discipline a dog is when you catch him in the act.

Mackin, while I agree positive reinforcement is the best way to teach service jobs and tricks I don't think it is the way to stop bad behavior. For example if you come around the corner and catch fido with his head buried in the kitchen trash can are you going to call him over for a treat or give him an open hand smack on the ass and a firm NO! To let him know that's bad? Then a few minutes later he'll come find you and you go back to being his best friend. Eventually he'll make the connection that "when I go in the trash my ass hurts, maybe I shouldn't do that". At least my dogs have.

I love my boys and would never be abusive toward them, but they know I'm the boss and they don't rule the house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

a smack on the ass to startle the dog isn't what I'm reading in the other posts. I see ass whooping ,I see choke and other so called attempt to discipline. I also read where the OP said that if he uses that form of discipline his dog will bite. Which is a natural defense for the dog to take. So really I don't believe that would be a proper way of going about things. Lets say a unsuspecting child were to raise his or her hand to the dog and hit the dog will the dog bite the child?

We are talking about a FAMILY pet here and even if we weren't I don't believe a professional dog trainer would not take nor recommend "ass whooping" or "choking" as a proven way to train a dog.

Yes a dog needs to understand who is boss and take his place in the pack or you will have problems. I just disagree with "some " of what is written here. A minor slap on the ass with his or her head buried in the trash isn't one of them.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
When a wolf challenges the pack alpha, do you think the alpha male just gives him a swift spank on the butt and a stern bark? No, it's a battle.

The OP's dog thinks it's the alpha male of the "pack"
As long as that dog thinks it's the boss, you will have major issues. But as soon as you can make that dog realize that it is weaker than you, it will submit and problems will subside.

So it may take pissing your dog off to the point he physically challenges you, then pinning him to the ground. Sit on him and hold his head down until he completely relaxes, that's submission.

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
My dogs were trained with me and by a professional that trains police dogs.
And yes you use a choker training collar.Also have a few that been in protective training as well

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
When a wolf challenges the pack alpha, do you think the alpha male just gives him a swift spank on the butt and a stern bark? No, it's a battle.

The OP's dog thinks it's the alpha male of the "pack"
As long as that dog thinks it's the boss, you will have major issues. But as soon as you can make that dog realize that it is weaker than you, it will submit and problems will subside.

So it may take pissing your dog off to the point he physically challenges you, then pinning him to the ground. Sit on him and hold his head down until he completely relaxes, that's submission.

Exactly. Sorry Mackin but your approach is the wrong way for an aggressive or territorial dog.
We aren't talking about abusive discipline here, just commanding a respect from the dog as he would get in a pack environment. Basically getting his full attention and letting him know his behavior won't be tolerated and that he is not the boss is the goal.
You don't want to inflict physical pain, you just want him to know and feel that you are stronger both physically and mentally than him. This is why when you do this it is a good idea to use a large commanding voice so if he acts up in the future, your words is all you need to get his attention and get him to change his tune.

And as Fingers said, positive re-enforcement when they are good.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Too many people forget, that despite these being our companions and parts of our families, they are still animals, with animilistic instincts.

I wish I had some videos of my good friends Rhodesion Ridgeback when he was going through hell.

This dog weighed 97lbs when it started challenging my friend. I watched a 4 minute long fist fight between my friend and this dog. He was swinging fists and that dog was all over him like stink on shit. He finally got the dog pinned down and sat on it for close to 15 minutes before it submitted fully. A few stitches later my good bud was fine and the dog was different from that day on.

Before their epic battle, I was half scared of the dog. Now it knows humans are superior and it doesn't act out at all.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Sorry but If my dog gave me stitches and was that aggressive it would have got a bullet in the head

You don't shoot a $2600 dog that was bred for killing tigers lol
People do that very often with large aggressive breeds because they do no research on the breed they are buying. They see a cute puppy and take it home not knowing what that dog was designed for.

I get so damn pissed when I hear people bitch about their heelers and cur's tearing the house up, only to find out they left it alone for hours. Those dogs were bred to stay by your side (or the cattle lol) and work their ass off non stop all day in and out.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Funny stuff

Here we are talking about a family pet a Basset Hound that is sleeping on a couch with a dog that it has a aggressiveness about food and it doesn't want to be moved from the spot it's sleeping at (IMO issues that can be dealt with) and the "fix" is go and punch it in the throat or tackle and pin it to the ground till it says UNCLE! :roflmao:

We all have are ways a suppose but this sounds a lot like how people train Pit Bulls to fight and or kill!
Some dogs make good pets some dogs aren't made to be domesticated! For instance a wolf! If I'm wrong in your eyes so be it . I agree with post #31 to a extent that if a domesticated dog is that aggressive there is a bigger issue .

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
You don't shoot a $2600 dog that was bred for killing tigers lol
People do that very often with large aggressive breeds because they do no research on the breed they are buying. They see a cute puppy and take it home not knowing what that dog was designed for.

I get so damn pissed when I hear people bitch about their heelers and cur's tearing the house up, only to find out they left it alone for hours. Those dogs were bred to stay by your side (or the cattle lol) and work their ass off non stop all day in and out.

I had a heeler when I was kid dog was only away from me when I was at school was a good dog but they are not a house dog lol . I don't really care what that dog cost or was bred for Danes were bred for killing hogs and protecting the king of England's children originally but you show them who is in charge from the get go and I have yet to have a problem. I haven't had a problem with any bred I have owned other then my wife's yorkiee(pretty sure that is spelled wrong) he was a little ****er he bit me for smacking him for tearing our couch he never learned. I told my wife he leaves or he's dead after that he cost me like 2k in damages to various shit

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Thanks for all of the tips.

First, there is no single thing to do/ not do to train a dog. They are all individuals and frequently take multiple methods to adjust their behavior. Especially if it has taken root over time. But here are some basics:

You MUST be the alpha dog. You do not back off, you do not submit.

You must not tolerate biting. If they nip, you must respond. If done by accident, a quick yell will usually suffice. If done in anger, you must put the dog in submission. First time, every time. You are the boss. Inaction condones the behavior.

Remember that dogs have no sense of time. Only here and now. For example, if they come to you after they have gotten loose, DO NOT yell or beat the dog!! They only know they came and now you beat them for coming. Here is the hard part, once they have come, you have to let them go again. Practice this every day. I realize you have to collar the dog once in a while for your or its safety, but make it so the dog wants to come to you. They are always a good dog when they come. No matter how long it took. Hard to remember some times.

Positive reinforcement when they are good. Remember to be nice after discipline. Again, they don't remember they were bad that morning. Only that you are pissed off now and don't know why.

Most dogs do not respond favorably to beating as discipline. I have one now that likes getting roughed up for instance. "is that all you got?"

In your case:
Food aggression is the tip of the iceberg. Nip it in the bud by sitting with the dog while it eats and pet it. Play with the food. Work up to actually taking the food away then giving it back. Growling not allowed. At you or the other dog. Things like this actually start as fear on the dog's part, not aggression per se. So work on relieving what is driving the fear. Loosing their fair share, not getting attention, being left alone, whatever.

One of the best posts. All I have ever had was farm dogs. To me they are still perfect, all we ever have to do with them is give them their shots. Dump a 50lb bag of food out every month or so and they're good to go. Its perfect for them, they get to kill and eat whatever they want, they run around all day and when they want attention they come to you. Never had an agressive farm dog, they have always been great. I've never trained any of them to do anything though either.

The one class I took with this puppy (brutus) just kind of taught the basics of training. The key things I learned were dogs sense of time like you said, you have to reward or discipline that second or they dont know whats going on. Consistency, the same hand motion, same verbal command every single time and only once for the most part, don't say the same command 20 times, just once and once they finally respond reward them. Never let anything slide because they will take it and run.

I agree with most other posts saying my/my wifes presense as being dominant over him is what needs to be established and also agree with you on the food issue probably being more fear than anything.

Those of you that punch slap choke of use VIOLENCE to train a dog or any animal should know that isn't the proper way to train a dog or any animal!

It will take consistency, time and plenty of patience to train a problem dog. If you don't have these traits I suggest you re-home the dog or seek professional help for yourself and the dog.

No offense, but it seems to be that the people all writing books and trying to preach that only positive encouragement can be used to train dogs are lazy liberals with all day to train a dog and no jobs/life. Not saying you are, but I live outside a town that is 99% liberal so its what I see. Sure I shouldn't own a pet if I don't have time for them. Why do you think I chose a Basset Hound instead of a Border Collie or Shephard? They require less time and space. Living in town and working a lot that's what we needed. They basically sleep from the time I leave in the morning until I go home at lunch then sleep until one of use comes home in the afternoon. They get the attention and play time they want and then fall asleep shortly after.

To me beating a dog is when you are doing it for no reason and doing it all the time. Most of those in this thread simply said they threw their dog down once and after that it never got out of line again. Doesn't sound like any of them are running around beating their dogs for no reason nor are they causing any physical harm to them.

I also don't think theres one way to train any dog, every situation varies.

Too many people forget, that despite these being our companions and parts of our families, they are still animals, with animilistic instincts.

I could go on for hours about this topic. Being outside a liberal town, we get people calling the cops on farmers all the time thinking they are abusing their animals. These are the Prius drivers who read on the internet how to farm so since they have no job or anything better to do they drive around wasting LEO's time on stuff like this. Then when they dont get their way they start a campaign online. A buddy of mine had them called because there was a dead cow on his farm that someone apparently saw. Cop's came said they have food water and shelter what more do you want, cows die its life. Theres another guy with a shetland pony that chooses to stand outside in the cold versus inside his shed. He has sheriffs out there often because people think he's neglecting it. Why do you think they grow a coat that heavy? It wants to stand out in the sun versus sit inside so be it.

They criticize long day lighting in dairy barns because they think cows want 8hrs of sleep. Cows sleep less than 3hrs a day and never more than 5 minutes at a time. I know one guy who had a lady wait until he came back out to his horse and she said he was neglecting it because it stood there tied up for 3 hrs and it should've been able to lay down. Horses hocks lock to allow them to rest standing up, its actually not that comfortable for a lot of them to lay down because of the way it aligns their digestive tract.

The bottom line is too many people see animals as the same as humans when they are not. Every species has unique traits you have to understand and learn to work with. I wish more people would educate themselves before making other peoples lives miserable.

For those who are liberal, no offense its not directed at all of you just a stereotype of the people I run into who are "proud liberals".

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Funny stuff

Here we are talking about a family pet a Basset Hound that is sleeping on a couch with a dog that it has a aggressiveness about food and it doesn't want to be moved from the spot it's sleeping at (IMO issues that can be dealt with) and the "fix" is go and punch it in the throat or tackle and pin it to the ground till it says UNCLE! :roflmao:

We all have are ways a suppose but this sounds a lot like how people train Pit Bulls to fight and or kill!
Some dogs make good pets some dogs aren't made to be domesticated! For instance a wolf! If I'm wrong in your eyes so be it . I agree with post #31 to a extent that if a domesticated dog is that aggressive there is a bigger issue .

I still tend to agree with this. If training the dog is as easy as smacking it around, or beating it in a fight just one time then great, you should be able to have it fully trained and submissive by dinner tonight. I honestly wish you luck with your dog but have to respectfully disagree with most of the methods in this thread.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
First off I'm 51 years young and have many dogs from lap to mutt to pure breed in a VERY CONSERVATIVE HOUSEHOLD. I know many owners of dogs from family to different service to cops with K9 and I have never heard of such a way to train a dog or discipline a dog in the way it is mentioned here in this thread.

Choke coller yes of course, bare hands ,perhaps if your a criminal trying to stop your arm from being crushed!

I too wish you the best with your pup. But for heavens sakes don't throw down and wrestle with your dog. Remember this is the Internet some post some outlandish BS!

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
First off I'm 51 years young and have many dogs from lap to mutt to pure breed in a VERY CONSERVATIVE HOUSEHOLD. I know many owners of dogs from family to different service to cops with K9 and I have never heard of such a way to train a dog or discipline a dog in the way it is mentioned here in this thread.

Choke coller yes of course, bare hands ,perhaps if your a criminal trying to stop your arm from being crushed!

I too wish you the best with your pup. But for heavens sakes don't throw down and wrestle with your dog. Remember this is the Internet some post some outlandish BS!

I don't have any intentions on wrestling him.

You sounded like all of the other people I've been listening to who say you can teach anything with discipline which would include choke collars and such, your supposed to only use positive stuff. Treat them when they are good and apparently they figure the rest out. If thats not where you were going with it than I apologize.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
All of the choke collars I have ever used were worthless. Didn't stop the pulling, only made it hurt the animal.

We switched to a collar which has an attachment like a muzzle. but if they pull, it actually pulls their head in opposite direction. That worked very well on our current 2 lab mixes. No pulling, they listen to commands and stay by your side.

My dogs associate leashes with traveling in the car, and they are all about that.

but like said, every dog is different. One thing will work with one, and make the issue worse on another.

Lots of trial and error with nothing extreme.

Personally, with a young child in my household, the first snip at anyone would ultimately mean the end of the dog. I wouldn't want it around my daughter, and I wouldn't want to sell/give him to somone else that he could turn around and possibly hurt.

Just my thoughts. Not all dogs are good dogs.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
All of the choke collars I have ever used were worthless. Didn't stop the pulling, only made it hurt the animal.

We switched to a collar which has an attachment like a muzzle. but if they pull, it actually pulls their head in opposite direction. That worked very well on our current 2 lab mixes. No pulling, they listen to commands and stay by your side.

My dogs associate leashes with traveling in the car, and they are all about that.

but like said, every dog is different. One thing will work with one, and make the issue worse on another.

Lots of trial and error with nothing extreme.

Personally, with a young child in my household, the first snip at anyone would ultimately mean the end of the dog. I wouldn't want it around my daughter, and I wouldn't want to sell/give him to somone else that he could turn around and possibly hurt.

Just my thoughts. Not all dogs are good dogs.

The first nip has always meant the end of dogs at our farm as well. Can't take the chance with how many people show up. We've never let someone else take one either, some have wanted one of them but we wont let them go. It seems like once they bite once they will do it again. The only reason things are a little different with this one is I figured with him being such a young puppy and this being kind of odd that maybe I needed to work with him. These two are the first house dogs I have ever had and I will never have anymore house dogs once we move out of this house.

I remember the teacher at the class I went to praising the muzzle leashes because they pull their head in the opposite direction versus harnesses and collars which when pulled on make the dog want to pull harder.