LLY: Temporary Tie Rod sleeves

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I want to eventually buy some heavy duty tie rods and what not, but I'm fairly uneducated as to what all I need.

If I want a front end that can withstand 4x4 launches, hoping to make at least 600hp in the future with upgrades, what all do I need?

Also, if I buy some tie rod sleeves to just hold me over until I can afford those upgrades, will it even be worth it? In other words, will just tie rod sleeves hold me over for 4x4 launches on my 175 and 230+hp tunes until I can afford heavy duty rods and such?

Thanks

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I run sleeves and A DHD brace. Works just fine and have no plans for HD tie rods until something needs replaced then I will get HD tie rods

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
That's good to hear as well. At what point are traction bars used for/needed?
I run 60" trac bars. You can get away with just clamping your springs. But if your not towing to heavy and like to hit the track a lot I would go with the Caltracs.

Last edited:

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Sleeves are perfect if your torsions are down. Make sure you buy the right size of sleeve tho. I've seen a couple newbies running sleeves for lifted trucks on stock height trucks, ended up in tears. Lol

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I will probably buy the sleeves and DHD brace sometime soon. Thanks for the input. My truck is only leveled and I'm only running 285s for now, my next set of tires i buy will be 265s though

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
More launches then I can count. MA sleeves since I started racing. Put a dhd brace on last year after I built the trans. 265/75r16 toyo's on a stock height setup. Huge difference with the brace vs without. Can't comment on the PISKs. For racing I recommend the brace, I could see the PISK for someone who off roads more.

PISK reduces center link movement, brace will stop it. Just my observations.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
More launches then I can count. MA sleeves since I started racing. Put a dhd brace on last year after I built the trans. 265/75r16 toyo's on a stock height setup. Huge difference with the brace vs without. Can't comment on the PISKs. For racing I recommend the brace, I could see the PISK for someone who off roads more.

PISK reduces center link movement, brace will stop it. Just my observations.

Yeah I think I will skip over the PISK, since I dont necessarily off road.

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
I've had sleeves on my truck for about six years and what you don't hear about is doing alignments with them. I do my own alignments and let me tell you, I had to about melt the sleeves off to set toe. That's what prompted me to buy the Rare Parts tie rods. Not saying its a must but I'm suprised you don't hear more about alignment/tire shops saying that they can't do the alignment becuase the sleeves are corroded solid to the rod.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I've had sleeves on my truck for about six years and what you don't hear about is doing alignments with them. I do my own alignments and let me tell you, I had to about melt the sleeves off to set toe. That's what prompted me to buy the Rare Parts tie rods. Not saying its a must but I'm suprised you don't hear more about alignment/tire shops saying that they can't do the alignment becuase the sleeves are corroded solid to the rod.

I was actually just reading about the alignment issues. I think I will just buy the sleeves for now until I can buy the rare parts tie rods

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You want temporary sleeves? Cinch a piece of rebar to the stock ones with cable clamps. There was a puller that used to do that back in the day and it actually worked just fine lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI

I have had the same issue. I just replaced the tie rods and couldn't get the sleeves off so they are on the work bench until I make it a priority to put a torch to them. Next time I'm loading them up with Anti-Seize.

Last edited: