Tech 2

ghosty

May 5, 2014
Western Australia
Has anyone purchased a tech 2 knock off and found it to be fine? You hear plenty of horror stories, but some times I think this can be partly based on truth and some time scare tactics.

If you can recommend a link that you have used, let me know please.

Thanks from down under..:thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
You hear plenty of horror stories, but some times I think this can be partly based on truth and some time scare tactics.

x2!!

Or guys that paid big money for real Tech 2's and are jealous. :D

Like me....but I bought my genuine Tech 2 almost 10 years ago before the knock offs were really around.

I do have a knock off chinese CANdi module though. Had it for probably 7 years. Cost $100, still works perfectly.

The knock off Tech 2's have come down in price a ton...I think theyre $450 or so now. Ive heard good things about them, but also horror stories about if you try to update them, they brick themselves. So just dont update it... GM stopped issuing Tech 2 updates anyway though; everything is going to the MDI now. Which personally, I hate. I can use a Tech 2 blindfolded, takes 2 seconds to boot up, its durable as hell, the UI is dirt simple, and I can use it with greasy dirty hands. Try that with an MDI and a Windows based laptop....

Ben

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have one i bought from Alibaba.com. The company I dealt with was honestly beeter than I anticipated...since I didn't know about the solid state cards at first. New cards are 30 bucks and show up in short time. I purchased an Mdi from the same conpany recently because I have a few friends with 15s but I haven't really spent much time with it. As far as reprogramming though, a mongoose cable like what Tony Martino uses is way simpler and faster.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
We have a chinese one here at the dealership, i'll always grab a real one first but if theyre all being used it still works just fine. It's a tad bit slower and it reboots if you crank the engine over which is annoying but otherwise it works fine.

ghosty

May 5, 2014
Western Australia
thanks guys, any links on where you bought them from? I did a look at Alibaba.com, but there are about 90 diffrent retailers on there.

Thanks in advance
Ghosty

Dave Shane

Sep 28, 2014
I got clone one with Candi interface for USD332. What I appreciate most is that it allows to work without pc. Can this clone one be update? And how?

ghosty

May 5, 2014
Western Australia
HI All, just figured I would update you all on the Tech2.

Bought a Chinese unit from www.sicotool.com, they sent it via ems freight took 5 days,
Complete unit,
1 x GM PCMCIA card updated to 2013 - support trucks
1 x Tech 2
1 x VCI
1 x Candi
1 x RS232
1 x RS485
1 x Main connection lead
1 x 110VAc wall plug
1 x Battery connector
1 x Cig connector
1 x CD with manual of machine use
1 x TIS2000 with dongle
1 x Black Case
a couple of ancillary CD's I haven't looked at yet.

All for a grand total of $US 389.00 including shipping. If you put all the pieces together in the cart it comes out around $480. But I emailed the guy "David" and asked for more info an dprices postage costs etc, he end up quoting me complete package for $389. then had to go on site, place order at the larger $ amount but in the order text I said I had been quoted different by email and within about 10 minutes I had a reply email, saying invoice has been adjusted, please return to web and make payment through paypal.

First impressions. Service was excellent, a bit of Pinglish but all the same we got through it.
Looks the part all the bits connect and appear to work.
I have connected it to the car, and read the Vin as well as other info, DTC's etc.
Havnt had to use it in anger as yet, but appears to be fine. Guess time will tell.
:happy2:

capitalx

Oct 9, 2014
program ecm

I need the tech2 only for vin changing lbz ECM to match GMT-800 BCM. Does anybody know if this is a simple task with Clone Tech2?