TDI @ strip

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I went to the strip with my Wife's TDI last week. The best I clicked off was a 16.033 at 89mph. Wanted to break into the 15s and probably could if I knew how to drive. Its a stick and for some reason I would never pay attention and launch at 4k RPM blasting through the tires through 1st and part of 2nd. I tried a 2nd gear launch but anybody who has one of these things knows how weird the clutch pedal is. Terrible pedal feel and cant feather the clutch right at all, ran a 19sec. I think a decent launch and maybe some powershifting will get it to 15's.

Everybody said TDI's are not race cars, they are correct. In a straight line these things suck. Takes horsepower to win a drag and TDI's do not have that. Ton's of torque but all that does is spin tires at first and then you're done at the top end. My buddies 6.7 was running low 14s and weighs 2.5 times more. There was a lot of people that liked the look and sound of the little diesel though.

I'd like to take the thing to a road course, they say they are pretty impressive there. Not "race cars" by any means but still more impressive than in a straight line due to the torque out of the corners.

The winner of the bracket race was a VW though, an old bug with a trap speed of a whopping 61mph. There was a mix of some neat stuff there actually. Lots of fast snowmobiles (those in the south may not understand), drag bikes, some SRT8 Jeeps that couldn't keep the front end down and of course some big turbo imports.

These times were with everything deleted (3" straight pipe), and the stage 2 tuning. Can't really handle much more torque, flywheel shudders sometimes as it is. Better clutch and SMF would fix this and give better pedal feel, but its a DD car and I don't think my wife wants to listen to the racket that would make. She gets 40s with this tune all the time. Recent trip that was mostly highway with some city driving she got 48.5mpg by hand. She doesn't baby it and has the speeding ticket from the drive home to prove it (funny story, she asked if the dial in number on the window made her get pulled over, I said if the cop knew what that meant he'd know you car wasn't fast). A prius gets good economy in stop and go, but if you wanna do 80mph+ and get good economy (plus have fun) you need a little diesel car. Haven't had it on the rollers but someday I will, supposed to be around 163hp/295tq to the wheels (184hp/333tq at crank). Stock is 133hp/235tq at wheels. What makes it fun to drive though is the torque curve in the Malone tune, its kind of agressive and low.

Nobody got a video but I doubt it would be exciting to watch anyways. Heres one from after I put exhaust on though. I think its louder than my truck was. Feels faster than it looks to me, but maybe I'm just not used to anything fast anymore.

[YOUTUBE]n5Ns2Kqp-Mo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0QtQefMf52k[/YOUTUBE]

140hp_crtdi_stage2_dyno.png

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I realized how much faster the truck does the 1/4 mile compared to my cruze :spit: I have a blast racing it though, it will out 330' most 14 second cars because of the torque.:D

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
If I'd get it to hookup the 330 would be impressive. Traction control helped. I ran once without if and realized I really suck at driving lol. Added over a half a second.

At least I wasn't the slowest guy there and compared to other compact economy cars the Cruze and TDI are rockets. They're fun in traffic and that's what matters. I decided to go to strip after I got challenged on a highway by a PT cruiser at 2am. Yes a PT Cruiser. SMH

Trucks are surprisingly fast. My quickest time there with mine was 13.73 with stock charger crappy tuning(my own) and shifts and engine limp at 1000'. That was the only time I ever drag raced.

I'm sure being used to a 10 second truck you were redoing your makeup going down the track with the Cruze.

I still prefer pulling but it is nice with drag racing how you can keep coming back and things mostly stay the same.

On a side note. Anyone know why pants are required on a stock slow car? My buddy and I both had to buy boner pants at the track because we had shorts on. I can see it in higher classes but boner pants are going up in flames faster than my shorts are.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
We have an 03' and a 12' and its really hard to fight the urge to do anything to either of them I would like to delete the 12' soon though.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
We have an 03' and a 12' and its really hard to fight the urge to do anything to either of them I would like to delete the 12' soon though.
It's worth it. A lot more fun. I waited until the dpf had a fault.

Another guy in the area asked me about it when he got the estimate from VW to fix his. 7 grand for a new exhaust system. No thanks.