tcase popping

Rerywilson277

2002 LB7
Nov 7, 2013
Havre de Grace, Maryland
hey all, we had some snow the other day so i decided to put her in 4wd. it was on fresh snow and it started a grinding noise so i quickly put it back to 2wd. when i got to plowed and salted pavement i put it back in 4wd just to check and every couple of feet it would make a loud pop or clunk.
so i believe the tcase chain is loose or the drive sprocket teeth or worn.
i need to check for pump rub tomorrow because i looked quickly today but didn't see any wetness on the tcase.
what all will i need to rebuilt my tcase? and where do i look for pump rub?
thanks in advance

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
My transfer case needed new synchro's, pumprub kit, input shaft, and a chain. It did the same thing, popped in 4wd (only in hilly terrain though) and I could feel it through the floor board of the cab, they t-case felt like it was going to rip itself out from the truck. The guy in his ford in front of me said he could feel it and hear it go through the snow covered dirt while we were both driving. It cost me quite a bit in labor, dont let it go, rip it out ASAP and get it fixed! You are on the right track though

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
My transfer case needed new synchro's, pumprub kit, input shaft, and a chain. It did the same thing, popped in 4wd (only in hilly terrain though) and I could feel it through the floor board of the cab, they t-case felt like it was going to rip itself out from the truck. The guy in his ford in front of me said he could feel it and hear it go through the snow covered dirt while we were both driving. It cost me quite a bit in labor, dont let it go, rip it out ASAP and get it fixed! You are on the right track though

Would it not have been cheaper to buy a new one or source one from a salvage yard?