Symptoms of a broken valve spring/bent pushrod?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So after a weekend of somewhat "aggressive" showing off, I have aquired a funky engine noise. When getting the rpms above roughly 1600 the engine starts to moderately "pop", and it gets more aggressive the higher in the rpms. The truck as a whole is louder when it happens and you can slightly feel it in the floorboards. Not a diesel fuel knock but more so like a deadblow hammer beating on the engine. The noise is still there even on deceleration, truck idles perfect and doesn't smoke or misfire at all even when making the noise so I kinda am ruling out injectors. Balance rates are relatively ok. The aggressive showing off involved a few 4400+rpm rolling burnouts and some 130mph drag races. So with the characteristics of the noise and what I was doing when it happened I'm wondering if it's valvetrain related? Curious who here has experienced bent pushrods/broken valve springs, and what were their symptoms? Only thing done to the heads are SoCal valve springs, everything else is stock. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sure its not a broke crank? your symptoms are not far off from what i see others have happen

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Man I didn't even think about that. The only two broken cranks I've heard sounded like ten Clydesdales trying to kick their way out from inside the engine so it didn't cross my mind. Especially how great it idles, starts, drives, etc.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Man I didn't even think about that. The only two broken cranks I've heard sounded like ten Clydesdales trying to kick their way out from inside the engine so it didn't cross my mind. Especially how great it idles, starts, drives, etc.

Maybe you shortened a rod?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

it may just be fractured and not completely done yet or hopefully im dead wrong cause you sure as hell dont need that on your plate with all the bs you have gone through on this truck

Maybe you shortened a rod?

i hope not. he has a built motor

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
it may just be fractured and not completely done yet or hopefully im dead wrong cause you sure as hell dont need that on your plate with all the bs you have gone through on this truck

First broken crank I had I ripped the throw web.. Sounded like a rod bearing had gone... At all rpms. 2nd one sounded like bunch of horses trying to get out

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO

First broken crank I had I ripped the throw web.. Sounded like a rod bearing had gone... At all rpms. 2nd one sounded like bunch of horses trying to get out

I guess most signs point to that. Idle sounds perfect and quiet, and frankly normal daily cruising you wouldn't even notice it. I would assume any valvetrain issues would cause smoke. Adam it literally sounds like your truck did after the first passenger side valve lash adjustment. Except it seems poppy out of the exhaust instead of the intake.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I guess most signs point to that. Idle sounds perfect and quiet, and frankly normal daily cruising you wouldn't even notice it. I would assume any valvetrain issues would cause smoke. Adam it literally sounds like your truck did after the first passenger side valve lash adjustment. Except it seems poppy out of the exhaust instead of the intake.
Bent push rod would keep the valve partially closed just like backing valve lash off

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Well I've done a little more research into this and I'm pretty sure the ol crankshaft has had enough. Stumbled upon a video a member ScreaminDuramax posted up of his snapped crank. Basically dead on the same noise its making. Looks like I have a winter build to start!

[YOUTUBE]lvFkg5hnrSA[/YOUTUBE]

Luckily I got the final moments of the beatdown on video :D Racing my buddy in his bone stock LB7 with a 5 second head start. Good old fashioned expensive fun :)

[YOUTUBE]HLCxvFywnX0&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
So after a weekend of somewhat "aggressive" showing off, I have aquired a funky engine noise. When getting the rpms above roughly 1600 the engine starts to moderately "pop", and it gets more aggressive the higher in the rpms. The truck as a whole is louder when it happens and you can slightly feel it in the floorboards. Not a diesel fuel knock but more so like a deadblow hammer beating on the engine. The noise is still there even on deceleration, truck idles perfect and doesn't smoke or misfire at all even when making the noise so I kinda am ruling out injectors. Balance rates are relatively ok. The aggressive showing off involved a few 4400+rpm rolling burnouts and some 130mph drag races. So with the characteristics of the noise and what I was doing when it happened I'm wondering if it's valvetrain related? Curious who here has experienced bent pushrods/broken valve springs, and what were their symptoms? Only thing done to the heads are SoCal valve springs, everything else is stock. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Broken valvespring is not good. When one of my high dollar aftermarket valvesprings broke, what began as a slapping noise escalated quickly to a very loud knock that sounded like hammer blows. The valvehead had broken off and riveted itself into the piston crown. The hammer blows were that valvehead peening the injector tip. At idle the whole truck shook and the engine barely ran. It was ugly.

The broken crank started as lost power when accelerating. The thing ran, but not well. It escalated to a bad misfire.

With a broken exhaust pushrod, very loud noise came back through the atmosphere turbo intakes. Don't know how a bad intake pushrod would sound.

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've looked at the balancer and truthfully it was too hard to tell. The part where the belt runs moves back and forth a bit but the bolt and the part of the rear of the socal balancer I can see seem to stay in one spot. My eyes like to play tricks on me though lol.

The truck has been parked since as I haven't had time to look at it. But besides that noise it literally runs and drives perfectly. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll be able to devote some diagnosis towards it.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well I've done a little more research into this and I'm pretty sure the ol crankshaft has had enough. Stumbled upon a video a member ScreaminDuramax posted up of his snapped crank. Basically dead on the same noise its making. Looks like I have a winter build to start!

[YOUTUBE]lvFkg5hnrSA[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds like mine did.
[YOUTUBE]ROkdlAuu6yg[/YOUTUBE]

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Partially tore into it today. Definitely a snapped crankshaft. Hoping I didn't tear up the block as I probably put about 200 miles on it after it snapped :roflmao: Will have it completely torn apart Monday

Winter build here I come! :woott: