Allison 6sp: Switching from D to M ??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
you can even switch from D to R (yes, reverse) when you are driving if you wanted to scare your buddies.

the allison is fully electronic; it wont let the driver do anything that would hurt it.

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
you can even switch from D to R (yes, reverse) when you are driving if you wanted to scare your buddies.

the allison is fully electronic; it wont let the driver do anything that would hurt it.

:spit: I think I might just try this out Ben

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
hmm idk about all allisons on this one my old plow truck had the allison and i used to use reverse for brakes sence it had none

09blackcrewmax

Truckless. . . .
Aug 2, 2010
OH
Yes, when you switch it'll automatically keep you in the same gear as what you were in previous. Just do it, it won't hut anything

Thanks guys ,a friend of mine has an Acura TSX and it works this way ^ but I wanted to ask someone before I experimented with my truck

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'd like to watch a movie of that first before I'd try it....

if my truck was running right now Id go get a video of me shifting into reverse at speed. I do it all the time to get rid of tailgaters on the highway (because the reverse lights still come on)

No one has to believe me if they dont want to....

there is no safety/electronic lockout to prevent you from shifting into park at speed though, so dont try that. And dont try the reverse trick if the trans is in hydraulic default either. (limp mode)

ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
WOW i gotta see a movie of that... That sounds awsome.... What speed does it kick into reverse tho?

Anytime transmission output speed is above 300rpm the TCM will inhibit a forward to reverse shift.

I would have to do the exact math on what forward speed (mph) that equates to, but figure with 3.73 gears, that would mean the wheels are going ~80rpm. So if you have 33" tires I guess thats roughly 7-8mph...

StuntHeavy

Jun 26, 2010
very interesting about the reverse lights...I could see a use for this. :rofl: Anyone have any further input? any difference on the 5spd?

Last edited: