switchable 2 camera back up system

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I know there are some electronic wizards here help me out please

I will be getting an insight from henry, my question is I want to run a camera for the reciever hitch but I would like a camera for the gooseneck as well, would there be a way to run these cameras on a switch?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Ya put two switches in, turn off one camera and turn on the other. Two toggle switches should do it, wire one the commons together and then connect the other to the switch then together again and into your screen. Or you could run two screens for the different cameras. There is a fancier way of doing it, but that one^^^ would be the cheap way, unless you want to plug in the different camera when you want it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I see they make twin camera units but the cameras in the kit I found on ebay are huge, a liscence mount and maybe a third brake light or front bulk head mount would work fine.

So a 2 way switch would work with rca? I'm a tard in electronics like this. SO if I understand you I could run the 2 camera rca's to the switch and have the upper position of the switch be gooseneck and the lower be reciever so 2 rca's in and one out to the insight?

the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
DPDT switch
Wire to I sight soldered to commons
Cam 1 soldered to top terminals
Cam2 soldered to bottom terminals

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
why not just unplug and replug the other in? you would have to do that after unhooking the trailer anyhow and unless you want to watch the compartment door by your tail gate on the 5th wheel, i dunno what you would want to see lol. thats what ill be doing

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks for the help fellas I'll be gettin started in a couple weeks once I get back from Michigan.

The reason I dont want to unplug and replug the other is I'm getting a dash pod for the insight so its all enclosed. I would like to see the bed and or the trailer while driving as some loads are pretty unruley. WHen there is a high dollar tractor skidder or load of pipe I need to see whats goin on back there

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Cameras came in today will be starting the project on friday. I havent had much luck with a switcher... The guys at radio shack sold me a $7 3 position DPDT switch on/off/on, they claim it will work with little to no signal degredation, but I am wondering about backfeeding issues on the cameras.

Nov 4, 2012
Harrisonville Mo
Cameras came in today will be starting the project on friday. I havent had much luck with a switcher... The guys at radio shack sold me a $7 3 position DPDT switch on/off/on, they claim it will work with little to no signal degredation, but I am wondering about backfeeding issues on the cameras.

Tried that got a lot of feedback the only thing I have seen work is the PAC switcher good luck

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
PAC switch ordered, I did get a new kenwood head unit with touch screen and av input maybe one camera will be on head unit and other on the cts.

The cameras I got off eBay are very good quality, I just tried to find ones that cost more Han the others as I know nothing about them. Only complaint is the wires for the power lead are very light and small multi strand wires hard to splice into 18-20 gauge factory wireing

Rockrunner

New to the LLY
Nov 7, 2013
Roxborough CO
So did you get it hooked up and what did you do? Did you use the PAC? if not do you still have it and want to sell it a little cheaper? I am doing something similar but a new head unit is not in the budget right now.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So did you get it hooked up and what did you do? Did you use the PAC? if not do you still have it and want to sell it a little cheaper? I am doing something similar but a new head unit is not in the budget right now.

I run my gooseneck camera through the head unit and reciever on the cts. I'm doing the same thing on another truck right now so the PAC is still being used. The aren't cheap that's for sure

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I had to miunt the bed camera on the tool box looking down at the ball. A guy i know with a dodge has a cameranin his 3rd brake light not sure if its a factory deal or what but itnis nice and clean.

I ran all wire down the frame in a flex conduit, tried to keep it as high as possible. The wires entering the cab i used the factory plug in the drivers side firewall. I did have to get an a/v extension cord but it was cheap and nice heavy gauge stuff.

My biggest complaint is the wireing that goes in the camera is VERY small and inshould have soldiered solid. I gave it a small dab of sodier but it kept dripping on me. Upsode down solding is not my thing apparently. I did order 2 more cameras for our duece and half and i order an 8" screen on a ram mount should be pretty slick. Amazon had the screen for like 40 bucks