Swap out Dexcool

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wouldn't use any unless your coolant system is really nasty. They do make coolant flush chemicals, but I never have seen any that said they where ok to use with Dex for sure.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Ive seen the coolant flush detergents before but im not sure how well theyd do with dexcool, im going to be doing a flush and swap next weekend since about 1/4 of my coolant drained out when i pulled the turbo and i dont want to refill with something that i cant get at a gas station in the event of an emergency.

organicduderanch

Oct 16, 2013
oregon
ok, im not a mechanic, and i am a new duramax owner. i wanted to change out my coolant as i have 85k on it,im thinking it is original coolant dexcool. first i have a hell ofatime figuring out how to dump the old.i looked online and found zero help. im sure someone explains how to do it but i couldnt find the info,i said screw it i can figure it out on my own. i removed the passenger wheel well coweling and the lower rad hose has a wierd clamp, a small wire slides around the outside and finds some notches ,more of a keeper after you slide the hose to the in position. i remove the hose dump the coolant and flush over and over. i replaced it with extended life zerex,3gal.and water. i am sure all you guys know this stuff , but i thought i would put it out there if some amateur needs it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
ok, im not a mechanic, and i am a new duramax owner. i wanted to change out my coolant as i have 85k on it,im thinking it is original coolant dexcool. first i have a hell ofatime figuring out how to dump the old.i looked online and found zero help. im sure someone explains how to do it but i couldnt find the info,i said screw it i can figure it out on my own. i removed the passenger wheel well coweling and the lower rad hose has a wierd clamp, a small wire slides around the outside and finds some notches ,more of a keeper after you slide the hose to the in position. i remove the hose dump the coolant and flush over and over. i replaced it with extended life zerex,3gal.and water. i am sure all you guys know this stuff , but i thought i would put it out there if some amateur needs it.

There's a drain plug on the passenger side bottom of the radiator. At least that's where it is in the 01-07 trucks. You can get to it super easy and a5 gallon bucket fits right under it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

organicduderanch

Oct 16, 2013
oregon
i tried this once maybe i hit the wong button , heres a second try,

organicduderanch

Oct 16, 2013
oregon
how to change out dexcool

mine is an 2008 silverado. i looked EVERYWHERE no drainplugs no petcock . i even had a hard time seeing which side the lower hose was on due to the limited visibility and other hoses that look similar. so the other years are not so hard, but if you happen to have a 2008 its a pain. it took 30 minutes just to deal with the coweling. but after that the rest was not to bad.

organicduderanch

Oct 16, 2013
oregon
if your still on ,i have a question. first did you read my amazing story about doubling my mpg ? i did the flow kit, took my mpg from 13.5 to 25 . more power and quit smoking on acceleration.
my question is related to the fuel tank. the most i have ever put in is 13.5 gal. i asked the dealer parts expert ,he says it holds 24 gal. could the censor be off that much ?
thanks shawn

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
nice info:)

Anyone know anything about the Evans waterless coolant?

By the '09 date on your post, I'm sure you've talked with Curtis about Evans coolant and the Missile since then. For those who don't know, Evans is something you don't want in a competition engine or any engine really. It's combustible. That stuff caught caught fire in the Mormon Missile and the driver is lucky to be alive. Smoke inhalation nearly killed him. He lost several fingers, had skin grafts, months of rehab, and he's lucky to be alive. After that incident the rules have been changed and Evans isn't allowed at Bonneville, only water for coolant.

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
By the '09 date on your post, I'm sure you've talked with Curtis about Evans coolant and the Missile since then. For those who don't know, Evans is something you don't want in a competition engine or any engine really. It's combustible. That stuff caught caught fire in the Mormon Missile and the driver is lucky to be alive. Smoke inhalation nearly killed him. He lost several fingers, had skin grafts, months of rehab, and he's lucky to be alive. After that incident the rules have been changed and Evans isn't allowed at Bonneville, only water for coolant.

I remember that incident back in the day. Scary stuff. I know he had some severe burns from that.

A for the trucks, Ben is correct no drain plug on 06+ trucks.

Delo ELC is the same as CAT ELC for those wondering. Both excellent choices (15,000hrs, 8 years, 750,000 miles maintenance free).

z71havinfun

Mar 6, 2013
What degreaser would everyone recommend to flush with if any at all?
DAWN dish soap :thumb: a squirt full does a system load, or however the commercials go. I add water to it run it to O.T. and flush, rinse and repeat... Works just as good on CACs to when a turbo goes bye bye...