sun coast gmax

lmm757

Sep 1, 2011
In the next few weeks i will be installing a gmax on my lmm. any one have any tips. and what all do i have to remove to get tranny out? Thanks.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
IMHO if you have to have tips on removing the transmission you DO NOT need to be installing ANYTHING on the inside of the case! Talk to or take the trans to a builder that knows allisons and has done performance rebuilds and it will be more fun/ less pain full

lmm757

Sep 1, 2011
Im pretty sure i can remove the tranny just never pulled a allison 1000 out of a duramax. as in tips just asking you guys for things to make it easier if you have done it previously. and what i have to remove, some say remove transfer case others say its no harder to remove with it in there.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I wouldn't be taking advise from anyone who says you don't need to pull the transfer case. They've obviously never pulled an Allison out of one of these pickups.

lmm757

Sep 1, 2011
yeah, i just pulled the tcase out of my dads lly and it only took like 30-40 minutes. thanks nick.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
In the next few weeks i will be installing a gmax on my lmm. any one have any tips. and what all do i have to remove to get tranny out? Thanks.

The only tip i have is TAKE IT TO A PROFFESIONAL! This is one area you dont want to skimp on!!! Out of 10 people that think they can build there own allison trans. within 6 months 8 of them call Mike L. or Big Dipper asking if they can fix it because something isnt right.

lmm757

Sep 1, 2011
I guess well see how it goes Yall bout got me talked into just letting 5th n 6th slip away...but I was raised in a shop still there and I go to school everyday to work on tractor and semi engine engines and transmissions....

lmm757

Sep 1, 2011
If I did not enjoy working was insecure of my ability and had money pouring from my a** I would gladly pay a professional to do it. Considering none of those are the case I believe ill tackle it. I started the thread to see if any one had any helpful hints or tips for a heads up maybe learn from others mistakes not my own, not asking if I should do it or not

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Yes thats fine sir! But alot of us here have been around these forums for along time and seems like about once amonth there is athread started just like this one, im not saying you can or can not build your own trans, that is not in question. BUT what you and alot of these other DIY builders don't understand is most off these trans kits you buy are not as easy as just bolting it in and going. There is alot of specialty tricks of the trade that the pros have and they will not just give them up on the forums. That is how they make there living. The issue i have seen a bunch in the past is yes you can build your own trans. and yes it will drive BUT for how long??? They usually dont last that long because there is some tricks that arent in the instructions, there is clearences that need to be perfect that are not in the instructions etc... you get my point. I hope it works out well for you im a DIY type guy myself but after seing all these DIY tranny builds that only last 6 months i take mine to the best. You may be saving up front but the thing is can you afford to build it twice??? Cause that is what usually happens! Good Luck i hope it runs forever and shifts like a dream:thumb: