Suggestions for making money?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Ahh I gotcha. Why are you parting with it? I've heard iffy things about the VGTs when wanting a daily driver
Not parting with getting one
I have had issues with the stock VVT outside tuning capabilities.. That have only shown its face while towing upwards of 20,000lb trailer and shortly will be almost 30,000lb trailer... Never had an issue as a DD

Essentially dumbing the truck down to be more reliable.. Will miss the turbo brake

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Not parting with getting one
I have had issues with the stock VVT outside tuning capabilities.. That have only shown its face while towing upwards of 20,000lb trailer and shortly will be almost 30,000lb trailer... Never had an issue as a DD

Essentially dumbing the truck down to be more reliable.. Will miss the turbo brake

Yeah the turbo brake is nice even if you dont tow haha.

I'm hoping to upgrade to an S366 one day....keyword one day

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Only use cash. Its alot harder to let go of the actual money than just to swipe a card, plus you avoid any possible interest. I've never had a credit card, why pay up to 17% more for the same service, part, food or fun time. You wont believe how much less you will spend wiyh just this one little habit breaker...

Not true if you are responsible with it. Key word responsible. I buy everything with my capital one card. Especially stuff online. Not only. Am I protected but I get a 2% discount on Everything I buy. Then just pay it back before billing cycle is over. It adds up quick and builds your credit. Witch also saves you money in the long run in interest fees. But make sure you are careful about the card you choose

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I started in about the same situation as you. Got my 2003 Duramax when I was 21 in college (back in 2008), and of course wanted to do all the mods to it right away.

Like everyone says, the best thing to do is cut spending. Work side jobs when you can (good suggestions here), because as you get older (I'm 27 now) you'll start to value the time more than the extra money.

Set realistic expectations for the truck. The most fun I've had with my truck was basically the setup you are going for now. So once you hit that, seriously think if you want to go faster. The built motor world is 10x the cost for 2x the power.

Finally, people here are right about financial priorities. It is better to put off the truck for a few more years and get your finances in order to get a house, etc. My truck sat for 3 years with the motor disassembled while I bought a house, then slowly built up the savings to get the motor built. I am so glad I waited, because it put me in a much better financial position.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I started in about the same situation as you. Got my 2003 Duramax when I was 21 in college (back in 2008), and of course wanted to do all the mods to it right away.

Like everyone says, the best thing to do is cut spending. Work side jobs when you can (good suggestions here), because as you get older (I'm 27 now) you'll start to value the time more than the extra money.

Set realistic expectations for the truck. The most fun I've had with my truck was basically the setup you are going for now. So once you hit that, seriously think if you want to go faster. The built motor world is 10x the cost for 2x the power.

Finally, people here are right about financial priorities. It is better to put off the truck for a few more years and get your finances in order to get a house, etc. My truck sat for 3 years with the motor disassembled while I bought a house, then slowly built up the savings to get the motor built. I am so glad I waited, because it put me in a much better financial position.

Yeah In trying to tell myself that once I buy a turbo and a new cp3, I'll be good to go for a while. But I want the power NOW, which is a bad mentality to have. Not to mention at that rate, I may risk bending a rod, which would be even more of a burden in the long run.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Back wgen I started getting into the dmax stuff I could not afford to build a motor let alone get by building a transmission from Mike at the time.

I bought, tore down, parted out over 20 lb7 engines that I bought off craigslist to fund my engine build. It was a long 3 years but I got it done. I'm now in the position to build another one but I just flat out don't have time anymore with my railroad schedule. Manage your money, don't let the lack of money manage you don't put yourself in the position of spending everything.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Back wgen I started getting into the dmax stuff I could not afford to build a motor let alone get by building a transmission from Mike at the time.

I bought, tore down, parted out over 20 lb7 engines that I bought off craigslist to fund my engine build. It was a long 3 years but I got it done. I'm now in the position to build another one but I just flat out don't have time anymore with my railroad schedule. Manage your money, don't let the lack of money manage you don't put yourself in the position of spending everything.

Wow 20 LB7 engines......thats crazy

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Become a diesel mechanic and specialize only in Ford PSDs. There's always a ton of them stacked up waiting to be fixed whenever I go to any of the diesel shops around me to buy fuel additives or accessories. I never see any Duramaxes there, only Fords and a few Dodges. I feel like I shouldn't even park in their lot.....

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Become a diesel mechanic and specialize only in Ford PSDs. There's always a ton of them stacked up waiting to be fixed whenever I go to any of the diesel shops around me to buy fuel additives or accessories. I never see any Duramaxes there, only Fords and a few Dodges. I feel like I shouldn't even park in their lot.....
Powerstrokes and dodges bought my house :D

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Only use cash. Its alot harder to let go of the actual money than just to swipe a card, plus you avoid any possible interest. I've never had a credit card, why pay up to 17% more for the same service, part, food or fun time. You wont believe how much less you will spend wiyh just this one little habit breaker...

My credit card gives 1% cash back on every dollar I spend...1% doesn't seem like alot and it really isn't especially if you are only spending a couple hundred a month. Every trans and engine part I have bought since January have been on my credit card, spent over $12,000. I pay it off every month and I got me a nice $120 deposit in my account yesterday from cash back. Didn't pay a dime in interest. I was going to spend the money anyways...why not get rewarded while you do it.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
If you have some cash to buy a fip rig. I bought two this year so far. one I made 2700.00 on and the second I made 6K on and only sat on it for a week. M dad always taught me that if you have some cash to start with you can get good deals and make money that way and he was right. I'm always trying to buy something I know I can make a profit on. the quickest easiest money I've found with my side business is doing deletes for people. If I do the tuning and sell the parts and labor that makes about 7-800 in 3 hours.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
My credit card gives 1% cash back on every dollar I spend...1% doesn't seem like alot and it really isn't especially if you are only spending a couple hundred a month. Every trans and engine part I have bought since January have been on my credit card, spent over $12,000. I pay it off every month and I got me a nice $120 deposit in my account yesterday from cash back. Didn't pay a dime in interest. I was going to spend the money anyways...why not get rewarded while you do it.

I use my alaska air credit card for all the parts I buy spent a 115K on it last year that got us first class tickets to and from Hawaii for 800$ after using the miles. never paid interest either. works out good.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Flipping vehicles is a excellent idea IF you know what you are doing and can do the work yourself. I made almost 8 grand on a excursion I bought with a bad motor last summer. :D I also used to do a ton of diesel work on the side. Now that I'm married that has slowed down but I made a couple grand a year on that. I also mowed one lawn a week that basically made my spending money for the week. The money is out there, you just have to be willing to sacrifice/work hard to get it.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Yeah I've talked with a few buddies about doing something together on the side, but its hard for it to actually materialize. I play guitar pretty well and could give lessons, but teaching can be hard when the students dont put in the work haha

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Flipping vehicles is a excellent idea IF you know what you are doing and can do the work yourself. I made almost 8 grand on a excursion I bought with a bad motor last summer. :D I also used to do a ton of diesel work on the side. Now that I'm married that has slowed down but I made a couple grand a year on that. I also mowed one lawn a week that basically made my spending money for the week. The money is out there, you just have to be willing to sacrifice/work hard to get it.

Yeah the first time I did it the wife was like your buying another diesel pickup??? and then 3 weeks later I made 4k on it. since then she says, I dont care what you do you obviously know how to make money at it. lol.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
There are some great ideas in hmthis thread!

Being a college student kinda puts you at an immediate disadvantage. Not because of a mindset, but strictly because there is always somewhere to go or something to do, or some scholastic need to be filled.

But it can be done, looking back at my early 20's I can literally remember $100's of dollars being completely wasted a week on what I thought was necessary which didnt yeild me any gain other than a fleeting moment...ah memories, lol

My D-max exploits were initiated by desire for power and instigated into reality by stupidity, then funded mostly by sacrifice...and the occasional project...

To afford parts I stopped: going out to eat, drinking, shooting, drinking designer coffee and stooped participating in any other hobby that cost money...I mowed neighbors lawns for donation (in my mid 30's LMAO!) and took on any side project I could.

I was a carpenter so my projects were typically building decks, fences, outdoor tables, occasionally id get a shed lroject or something and sometimes Id catch a break and get to fix peoples cars...

Youd be amazed by how little the general public is calable of or unwilling to do...One time I had a guy I did handyman work for have me replace the light bulns in his house and break down a years worth of cardboard...@ $30 an hour!

When you want something, you'll make aquiring it a priority, period. Whatever that means to your situation. Theres really no magic trick, dilligence in soending and how you soend money and patience pay off and the reward is that much sweeter, appreciated and respected in the end.

Selling stuff you might not ise or need always seems to add up to a few hundred dollaes for me, but I always seem to have parts layin around from current projects or projects of the past...

Good luck!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Yeah In trying to tell myself that once I buy a turbo and a new cp3, I'll be good to go for a while. But I want the power NOW, which is a bad mentality to have. Not to mention at that rate, I may risk bending a rod, which would be even more of a burden in the long run.

I dump as much $ into the truck and refinance would lower monthly payment, save on interest.. From the sound of it... You can't afford to have the truck down? Correct? As in blown engine down..
If that was the case.. I'd hold off till I was better off or had a 2nd vehicle that I owned outright

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
There are some great ideas in hmthis thread!

Being a college student kinda puts you at an immediate disadvantage. Not because of a mindset, but strictly because there is always somewhere to go or something to do, or some scholastic need to be filled.

But it can be done, looking back at my early 20's I can literally remember $100's of dollars being completely wasted a week on what I thought was necessary which didnt yeild me any gain other than a fleeting moment...ah memories, lol

My D-max exploits were initiated by desire for power and instigated into reality by stupidity, then funded mostly by sacrifice...and the occasional project...

To afford parts I stopped: going out to eat, drinking, shooting, drinking designer coffee and stooped participating in any other hobby that cost money...I mowed neighbors lawns for donation (in my mid 30's LMAO!) and took on any side project I could.

I was a carpenter so my projects were typically building decks, fences, outdoor tables, occasionally id get a shed lroject or something and sometimes Id catch a break and get to fix peoples cars...

Youd be amazed by how little the general public is calable of or unwilling to do...One time I had a guy I did handyman work for have me replace the light bulns in his house and break down a years worth of cardboard...@ $30 an hour!

When you want something, you'll make aquiring it a priority, period. Whatever that means to your situation. Theres really no magic trick, dilligence in soending and how you soend money and patience pay off and the reward is that much sweeter, appreciated and respected in the end.

Selling stuff you might not ise or need always seems to add up to a few hundred dollaes for me, but I always seem to have parts layin around from current projects or projects of the past...

Good luck!
Well said