Stripped Oil Drain Plug Head

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
When you get it out, replace the drain plug with a Fumoto valve-if there's anything left of the threads... Also, find out who changed the oil and make sure you NEVER take it back there!!

I've got a fumoto valve waiting to go in, I'm hoping the threads aren't FUBAR so I can actually use it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've removed one like that where three others tried and couldn't get it off. It was all messed up from pipe wrenchs, vise grips, etc. I took an angle grinder and ground two large flats on each side, then removed it with a large crescent wrench

2007LBZ

Piston Melter
Feb 18, 2017
TN
The bolt extractor socket got it out just fine. There was no rubber / crush washer on the bolt or anything like that, it was just torqued up into the pan as far as possible. The threads on the tip of the bolt were stripped but the rest of them didn't appear to be damaged.

The guy who changed the oil last torqued the filter on just as tight too - after mangling it up with some channel locks, it came out though.

I installed a fumoto valve in the oil pan and there are no leaks yet! I also grabbed some Racor oil filters from XDP for about $5 each so that's what I'm using for now.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
The fumoto valve saves your ass from oil splash ....Had one on every truck I've owned. Makes oil changes so easy.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Ok... I deserved that one:rofl:. However, someone with my dimensions can't move fast enough under a truck to dodge splashing oil...... And yes, I did change my oil in a suit once:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok... I deserved that one:rofl:. However, someone with my dimensions can't move fast enough under a truck to dodge splashing oil...... And yes, I did change my oil in a suit once:D

need that 12" lift back just so you can get under it and change the oil! :D

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Lol. That was about all that lift was good for. Talk about excessive parts wear....Especially the way I drive.:rofl: