Help: stolen dmax salt lake city

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I doubt the on-star would work, if you know how to steal a 2015 truck; you likely know how to disable or block onstar(which is VERY easy). Last I knew, (and I haven't looked this up in awhile) they're next to impossible to steal without a programmed key or tow-away - Unless you disabled that system via tuning, or left the key in the ignition/vehicle.

On a side note, I don't think there'd be much in this world from stopping me from becoming "passionate" and pit maneuvering my own truck if someone stole it, lol. Wish you luck in this matter!

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I'm sure I wouldn't be able to keep from chasing my stolen truck if I found it, but it's a dangerous proposition. Depending on what was in the truck, they probably have an address. Just something to think about if you see it again.

I hope they get what they deserve, and some..good luck.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I doubt the on-star would work, if you know how to steal a 2015 truck; you likely know how to disable or block onstar(which is VERY easy). Last I knew, (and I haven't looked this up in awhile) they're next to impossible to steal without a programmed key or tow-away - Unless you disabled that system via tuning, or left the key in the ignition/vehicle.

On a side note, I don't think there'd be much in this world from stopping me from becoming "passionate" and pit maneuvering my own truck if someone stole it, lol. Wish you luck in this matter!

I was already thinking that also

That temptation would be strong for sure.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT

I had many quick ideas come to mind. I wanted to pin him in at the intersection.... i had my girl with me, and he had a girl in the truck as well so i didn't want to make it something it shouldn't be. My girl was a ittle scared going that fast in a Jeep hahahahah. When he darted off the freeway, I thought i had him at the light and had plans to run up to the truck, then i new it would be locked (still in gear), then i thought i can grab my hide-a- key if it is still there and sneak in the door and see where it goes from there. I knew my gun was not in there anymore as they dug it out of another stolen truck along with my Bow and all kinds of other stolen guns and computers. But you never know what they have especially if they knew i was chasing him.

Not sure how it would have played out if he had not ran that red light as i was def heading to that truck at the light if i could have.

Oh well the check has been issued to replace my truck and the cops have his new plate number and the new pics we got so maybe they will get what is coming to them. Cop told me last night there is only a couple guys in the area who could pull off a clean VIN change so the plates are prob off a similar truck.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Except for firing a gun within city limits. Otherwise I agree.

If you had the ability, a quick poke with a knife to the sidewall will do it

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
i Say hang em from a tree
Or if your against capital punishment just take the non dominant hand for first offense...
I guarantee the crime rate would fall!

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
update, cops got her back Friday night after it was used in a fuel theft and they followed up on the lead. Too late for me as i already got paid out by ins, BUT i assume it will go to an auction now with a salvaged title?

Do they HAVE to make it a salvage title since the ins company owns it now and it was a total theft?

I have been trying to find out where and what auction it will go to as it may be a great cheap buy if it is cheap with a salvaged title?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
update, cops got her back Friday night after it was used in a fuel theft and they followed up on the lead. Too late for me as i already got paid out by ins, BUT i assume it will go to an auction now with a salvaged title?

Do they HAVE to make it a salvage title since the ins company owns it now and it was a total theft?

I have been trying to find out where and what auction it will go to as it may be a great cheap buy if it is cheap with a salvaged title?

Should be a salvage title/ theft recovery. Same as the lbz I posted

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Glad the truck was finally found.

But i have to ask, the authorities dont follow up on a $35-40K car theft, but they do for a $100 fuel theft? What in the world is wrong with your police dept's priorities in SLC?

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Preaching to the choir, Tom.

OP, glad the truck was found. Horrible deal all around and doubtful that the guy will get what he deserves.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Glad the truck was finally found.

But i have to ask, the authorities dont follow up on a $35-40K car theft, but they do for a $100 fuel theft? What in the world is wrong with your police dept's priorities in SLC?

I had 276k worth of outboards stolen last January, police did nothing but take reports for insurance...

If you held up a gas station for 10 dollars every officer would chase you until patrol cars run out of gas. I think the insurance problem we have starts with policing. They do nothing, let insurance pay it out and move on. I did not accept this answer and I did a private investigation, I found the culprit and turned them in. SBI was like WTF is going on in your county, how did you figure this out and not the lead investigator??? Nothing could be done bc no hard evidence, but the guy is now bankrupt, small town word travels fast...:D

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas

I wonder if you can call your insurance company and see if you can buy it back before auction?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wouldn’t want my truck back after it was stolen. Be happier if they would just burn it. Who knows what damage you can’t see was done right?

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
so I go the info today about the auction my old will be at. It will have a salvaged title but I can go check it out and see what kind of shape it is in and smalls (meth smoke or not), I think I will end up with a newer white Denali tomorrow BUT will still check out the auction and see how it goes. Anybody have experience doing this as far as what if it goes for $20K ? it would be a great deal, or do you think somebody will pay 35-40K for it still and just keep it? They told me u need to use a broker for anything there that has a salvaged title but it is up to me and broker to decide his cut. If it is still in good shape and has not had smoke in it, it is a great buy for anything under $40K as long as you don't plan to sell it again. I mean if you can get it cheap and drive it forever it would be great, but wondered if any of you guys go to these auctions looking for these deals and if there is any reason it may still go for a higher price?