stock speedo problem

Onefishaway

Aug 9, 2010
Virginia
I have a stock 2005 LLY Crew. Recently, the speedometer quit working. when it does work, it acts as if the needle is not moving smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem? Where is the speed sensor located? I'm not into choking up a bunch of $$ for a new instrument panel, how hard is it to hook up an external speedo? Do the programmers you cats use have a speedo on them? Just a few questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Speedo Fix

I understand this is a known problem. GM has an unlisted recall & are supposed to cover it up to 75,000 miles. Or go to a speedometer shop & they will do it much cheaper if the stealer won't.

Onefishaway

Aug 9, 2010
Virginia
Thanks fellas

I already talked to the stealer....my truck has 84,000 on it, so I'm S.O.L. there. Using the GPS until I find someone to check it out.

beaviscs247

Mar 2, 2011
San Diego
Yeah its the stepper motor. Relativity cheap motor just need to sodor a couple wires in I think. Mine has been out since the day I bought it from this guy(2 years now). Quit working on the drive home:mad:. Been using GPS since but will get it fixed when i get the time.