Steering issue.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Helping a friend with a two wheel drive dually. When you hit a bump or get up and down movement in the front it starts walking left to right on the steering. If this makes any since. Changed front shocks and steering stabilizer shock. Front end feels tight. No play in tie rods or ball joints. Any body have experience with this. Maybe gear box?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you mean like death wobble or is the truck pulling to one direction after hitting the bump?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I guess death wobble. It's like a gradual left to right motion. Sometimes worse. I don't even like to drive the damn thing. It did spend sometime of its life on a ranch. 110k miles.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the steering damper doesn't even help these trucks, in fact mine is better without one

how is the steering play in the wheel, issue might not be in the front end but in the steering box

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I guess death wobble. It's like a gradual left to right motion. Sometimes worse. I don't even like to drive the damn thing. It did spend sometime of its life on a ranch. 110k miles.

if everything is tight via picking one front tire up while the other is on the ground and you checked very well for ball joints and wheel bearings, i would suggest having the alignment looked at. if the caster is out of wack, it can cause this issue. being a ranch truck, im betting you have some worn out parts and bushings you may not be seeing.

if the steering box is shot, i can cause some weird stuff to happen steering wise as well but this is by no means an easy diag over the internet. going to have to get some skilled eyes on this

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Ok thanks for all help. Havnt had time to check today. He just showed up and its running like shit. Fuel filter was half full of brown water and diesel in tank was cloudy. Got misfire 2-5 and random miss fire code. WTF

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Just giving update. Alignment done, suspension and steering checked out by shop. Still doing the same damn thing. Put a heavy bumper pull on it and doesn't change anything.

I'm still thinking something in the gear box.

Drives straight doesn't pull. But has that bump steer. Feels like the truck is moving 2" left to right in the front

Last edited:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
It’s most likely the steering box, some aftermarket pumps can do this too, I’d do a good flush and make sure all the return lines are tight and no air is in the system and go from there.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Ok thanks. I rode in it today for an hour drive. It's scary to me lol. He's use to it. It's also like a bad shock that front right tire feels like it's up and down when it's going left and right if that makes any since. But I was on that side. So that's probably why it feels that away. Shocks are new though. I'm going to do what WV suggested and go from there.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Your location is listed as Dallas. Is that Dallas, TX? If so, my shop is about 75 miles east of you on I-20. We would be happy to fix the issue if you decide you would rather let someone else handle it.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Thanks man. May end up doing that. Going to try a few more things before we cal uncle lol. Replacing injectors is easy to me compared to steering and suspension. Your in Tyler correct?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks man. May end up doing that. Going to try a few more things before we cal uncle lol. Replacing injectors is easy to me compared to steering and suspension. Your in Tyler correct?

I'm in Van which is between Tyler and Canton.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
OK!!! finally had time to really look at this thing instead of quickly checking things. Found the issue. Someone put the wrong idler arm on. It put the center link at an angle and tie rod was 3/4" lower on the pass side than driver. Changing the geometry every time it hit a bump. I feel stupid that we didn't catch it sooner. But then again alignment shop didn't catch it either lol.

But all is well now. Drives like it should. no more problems until the next time lol. thanks for all the help