Steering box

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
Time for me steering box was looking a red head but mixed reviews and bad warranty. or just buy parts store reman with liftime warranty. I barely drive the truck but i still plow in the winter. Just seein what is out there and guys are running

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have a few trucks running the redhead boxes for as long as 2 yrs now...tall and wide tires on them too, and they are all holding up very well:thumb:

gpn

Oct 18, 2016
Sunshine and Big Holes
I just put an OReily reman in that was worse than the stock one I pulled out. Went with Redhead and it's night and day difference.

My box was showing signs of aging and this is what I did. Put the autozone reman with lifetime warranty in and ordered a redhead the same day. What a difference. There is no play at all in the redhead. I also installed a new hydroboost and high pressure lines and flushed it all with amsoil. It is a delight to drive with the new redhead box.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Seems like I remember hearing an employee from Red Head started his own company called Blue Top and works out of his house building them and they're a lot cheaper. Haven't heard anything since then.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Seems like I remember hearing an employee from Red Head started his own company called Blue Top and works out of his house building them and they're a lot cheaper. Haven't heard anything since then.

Hmm that's not a bad price either. Now do I order a blue top box or an ac delco box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'll be a guinea pig for y'all I'm ordering a blue top right now

I'm probably going to order one as well. Has to be at least be as good as a delco unit. But the delco is only 170$

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
the Blue Top is listed @ $425 on the site, isn't Red Head like $375?

400 for obs but these prices also include the 150$ core already. So they're 250 or 275$.

The redhead is 375 plus core.

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
I'm probably going to order one as well. Has to be at least be as good as a delco unit. But the delco is only 170$

The Redheads are machined out and a needle bearing installed where the shaft comes out versus a plastic bushing in a Delco. I assume the Blue Tops are done the same way.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
If any of you guys order a blue top could you send me a pm once you get installed. I've been meaning to get one.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Noticed on most of the sites there's the 99-07 and 07-10, I can't see any difference other than one has a service cap on the end and the NBS does not?

Pretty sure there is a difference in the ratio. I'm sure redhead could tell you if you called them. They can do custom boxes on request if you ask. I almost had them build me a 12:1 ratio for mine, but decided to go back with the stock 15:1.