steering bind

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So the steering on my truck has been binding while driving and its getting scary. It somewhat locks or hesitates when going around a curve with the steering turned to the 2-3 o clock position. It feels like its stuckvthere until I pull it hard to free it up again. It doesn't do it a lot but it's been getting worse. The steering box has play. The rareparts tierods are 2yo/20k, ball joints and idler/pitman are 3yo/30k. No clunking in the steering but like I said, a decent amount of play.

I'm afraid it just needs a new box but I would like some suggestions I guess. And where to get a new box because it seems like there aren't any good sources on boxes that last worth a shit besides oem

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OEM is just a rebuilt box as well. my buddy has gone through 2 of them under warranty to finally get one that lasts.

are you sure the DHD brace slide isnt worn and causing the bind? pull it off and check the idler/pitman arm for play, then go drive it and see if it quits. if it doesnt and the idler/pitman arm have no play, time for a box. ive heard decent things about AGM and redhead boxes. i personally just kept going though Napa boxes till i got one that had 0 slop in it.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The Teflon on my dhd brace looks brans new but that was my first suspect, although I did not think to drive with it off.

As for boxes I've seen at least 2 dozen threads about redhead being really sloppy, I'm not sure I have the time to keep changing Napa boxes either, I don't know what to do if it is the box.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The Teflon on my dhd brace looks brans new but that was my first suspect, although I did not think to drive with it off.

As for boxes I've seen at least 2 dozen threads about redhead being really sloppy, I'm not sure I have the time to keep changing Napa boxes either, I don't know what to do if it is the box.

the only issue with the napa boxes i have seen or the OEM is slop. they are not building them with tight enough tolerances.

If/when this one goes, im sending it off to PSC. yes there are people who have had bad luck with them but i and many others run their stuff on our off road rigs without issues.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I'm not opposed to PSC I have one on my jeep. I've heard really good things about the AGR boxes for the Duramax trucks though.

I'm not going to replace the box to get one with slop in it though that's just annoying.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well when yours dies and you need the truck, you gotta go with what's local. Over the weeks time I swapped them out just to keep the truck drive able. It's nice having another vehicle now lol

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Better order your AGR now, one member on another site waited 30 days due to the race season. The dmaxstore carries them in a variable 13-16:1 gear box. I picked up a low mileage gear box and pump for future rebuild local to me in Scottsdale

Last edited:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Sounds like mine only hasn't happened while moving. It's when I go to start moving and all the sudden even hulk would have a hard time turning that wheel. Hopefully the new front end fixes my problem but if not I'll be looking at the Hydroboost and/or steering box

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
There is at least 2 dozen threads between the dmax forums with people complaining about them being excessively sloppy.

I'm going to throw in a Napa box for now just so it's safe to drive until I can get the box I truely want.

I must just be lucky with them. Zero complaints so far.

Edit: 2 min on Google found just as many complaints with agr as red head. It's all a crap shot. Joys of dealing with "rebuilt" boxes.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
There is at least 2 dozen threads between the dmax forums with people complaining about them being excessively sloppy.

I'm going to throw in a Napa box for now just so it's safe to drive until I can get the box I truely want.

Keep your old one for future rebuild or until your absolutely sure the one you installed is good, me I have a local rebuilder that did one on my 82 no leaks, no slop for 8 years now.

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-Installation/bleedinginstructions.pdf

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-In...structions.pdf

http://agrperformance.com/AGR-Instal...x-Pre-Load.pdf

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Mike you always get such good info I wouldn't even know where to look for it. :thumb:

I learned changing a few key words (adding a few random numbers) produced a completely different set of results and having 3 monitors made all the difference...:thumb:

Google has in the last year changed it's search algorithms, in other words tracking you and I better and circumventing companies that provide website search optimization services

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Turns out my binding looks to be my dhd brace rubbing my steering stabilizer pretty bad, its wearing a deep groove down the center or the stabilizer. Its a mix between a worn pitman arm and the stabilizer being too big.

So who makes a super skinny steering stabilizer? Mine is rancho and its too beefy apparently...

The steering box is still worn out though. And I'll be throwing in a Napa box and keeping mine for future rebuild.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Turns out my binding looks to be my dhd brace rubbing my steering stabilizer pretty bad, its wearing a deep groove down the center or the stabilizer. Its a mix between a worn pitman arm and the stabilizer being too big.

So who makes a super skinny steering stabilizer? Mine is rancho and its too beefy apparently...

The steering box is still worn out though. And I'll be throwing in a Napa box and keeping mine for future rebuild.

Would just a plain ole o.e. Dampner work? Most trucks don't even have one and with you lowered I wouldn't think you need the heavy duty..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I didn't get the rancho for heavy duty I got it because it was 80% off :roflmao: so I guess I'll just go down and get a stock one I just don't want some piece of shit aftermarket one that will fail quickly

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

just OE is your best bet but id pull it and see if you even want one. mines been blown for 7 years now and the ONLY time i got death wobble (which a new damper wouldnt have stopped) was when i had a out tie rod soooo bad i had 3" of toe change in the tire and when i put the trailer on the back, it lighten the front end enough to cause it. i have never driven a GM truck like ours that felt like it needed one, lifted, lowered or stock. you might actually feel a little lighter steering without it. Even most of the 2011 and up truck didnt come with one yet had a spot to add one

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
just OE is your best bet but id pull it and see if you even want one. mines been blown for 7 years now and the ONLY time i got death wobble (which a new damper wouldnt have stopped) was when i had a out tie rod soooo bad i had 3" of toe change in the tire and when i put the trailer on the back, it lighten the front end enough to cause it. i have never driven a GM truck like ours that felt like it needed one, lifted, lowered or stock. you might actually feel a little lighter steering without it. Even most of the 2011 and up truck didnt come with one yet had a spot to add one

Damn James good call. Took it off and it drives just fine, if not better than before.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Any time!

I really don't know why GM put one on. A well designed and good working ifs doesn't need one. Im assuming they added it to try to help dampen some of the horrible bump steer you would get over big bumps though it doesn't do much still.