starting time for lb7 vs lly , etc...

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
its not more than two or three seconds... and in the mornings it fires instantly just after warmin up it takes a lil longer to fire

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Mine used to do that too. Lly fires right away though. Can't say for certain its an lb7 only thing but that was how my truck started

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just a w.a.g. here, but it could be injectors. I believe hard start when warm is one of the symptoms that the injectors are starting to go bad.

Last edited:

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
hard to start when warm is a sign of high return rates on the injectors thebac stated

Last edited:

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
kinda freaked out by horro stories i been reading about lb7 head issues. i bought this truck in may 09 at 126,000 miles and since i have replaced water pump, driver side hub, belt tensioner, and now the radiator is leaking from in the fins somewhere about a gallon a day!!!!!!!!!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have less than 4K miles on my injectors and mine does this as well. It also did it with the old injectors in it though. It pops instantly at 50 degrees outside though, but when it's hot and I let it sit for an hour or two it takes about a second and a half to two seconds to fire up. The PENSACOLA DIESEL injectors that smoked like crazy though would start pretty quick. I went in and bumped up the cranking fuel quantity with EFILIVE though and it helped a little with warm starts. I also think my CP3 is going on me as it's only holding 157-158 MPA of rail pressure now when I'm commanding 170 at 1900 pulsewidth, it used to hold 168-169.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
kinda freaked out by horro stories i been reading about lb7 head issues. i bought this truck in may 09 at 126,000 miles and since i have replaced water pump, driver side hub, belt tensioner, and now the radiator is leaking from in the fins somewhere about a gallon a day!!!!!!!!!

Those are all normal wear items, junk I replaced on my 03 at similar mileage. Not sure what up with the radiator though. Lb7 is a good motor, just had some injector issues. Some trucks go 200k miles problem free, some do 3-4 sets of injectors in that time.... kinda hit or miss. Runing additives, keeping clean filters, etc will help extend the life of your injectors though.... that goes for any year truck.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
My LB7 was a b**ch to start in the winter. Although I think a few of my glow plugs went bad so that could have been part of the problem.

My LBZ has never flinched starting, even down to -30 with no block heater and it sat for 18 hours like that.

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
My LB7 was a b**ch to start in the winter. Although I think a few of my glow plugs went bad so that could have been part of the problem.

My LBZ has never flinched starting, even down to -30 with no block heater and it sat for 18 hours like that.

My experience with my LB7 and LBZ is also exactly like yours.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
My experience with my LB7 and LBZ is also exactly like yours.
If my LB7 sat outside for more than 5 hours in 10 degree weather I'd have to cycle the glow plugs and crank it over for 4-5 seconds and it wouldn't stay running a couple times. I ran fuel additives so I don't think I had gelling issues.

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
according to the vin check... the injectors were replaced under warranty around 60k miles... and the injector pump as well i hit 137k miles today and so far heve not had any rough idles or wierd smoking etc. but my fuel mileage is only 13-16mpg 16 being when i travel 60 mph on a trip... at 70 its like 13-14mpg it got a lil better after i installed the ppe programmer (level 2 90hp) the power is awesome but i always thought these diesels got around 18 mpg. what are yall gettin on similar lb7's?

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
If my LB7 sat outside for more than 5 hours in 10 degree weather I'd have to cycle the glow plugs and crank it over for 4-5 seconds and it wouldn't stay running a couple times. I ran fuel additives so I don't think I had gelling issues.

Exact same situation as mine, 3-5 seconds of cranking. It usually stayed running, but it bucked and ran rough for for 10-15 seconds. I did have the fuel gel once. Pain in the butt to correct. had to get a neighbor to use his truck to push it up the driveway into the garage so I could heat it up.

The LBZ so far has fired right up and runs smooth no matter what.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The coldest it has been for me with the DURAMAX starting has been 41 one morning, and it fired right up like it was 90 outside and ran smooth as can be. If you want to see one buck and run like crap cold, find a 6.5 with high milage injectors and some bad glow plugs. My old 6.5 even with new glow plugs would take 18-20 seconds of glow time on the plugs to get it to even try and start when it was 45 outside. The one morning it was cold here I about gave up on it as it fogged out my whole yard and wouldn't hardly fire, and when it did I thought a rod had come out of it.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
The coldest it has been for me with the DURAMAX starting has been 41 one morning, and it fired right up like it was 90 outside and ran smooth as can be. If you want to see one buck and run like crap cold, find a 6.5 with high milage injectors and some bad glow plugs. My old 6.5 even with new glow plugs would take 18-20 seconds of glow time on the plugs to get it to even try and start when it was 45 outside. The one morning it was cold here I about gave up on it as it fogged out my whole yard and wouldn't hardly fire, and when it did I thought a rod had come out of it.

haha, 41 is nothin' :hug: