Starfire Fluid Built Trans

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Just curious if the "go to" built transmission fluid is still Dex3? A lot of guys used to say they ran the cheapest dex3 they could get their hands on. If that is still the case you guys should check out STARFIRE MULTI-PURPOSE TRANSMISSION FLUID. It is about $45 per 5gal bucket.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mike L used to say that Transynd and Mobil Delvac atf were the only two fluids that Allison recommended. He also used to promote Citgo Quatrasyn for racing.

Ive only ever ran regular old Dex3 myself.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Basically you don’t want an overly slick trans fluid. The point is to have the trans fluid be the point of wear so the clutches grab the best. That was directly from the old man when I asked what the problem was about running transyn or a full synthetic many moons ago at his shop.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I buy Lucas SureShift by the 5 gal, seems to work fine. Summit has it for under $90. Never heard of this Starfire fluid, and didn't see it listed for the price the OP said

Reactions: TheBac

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Back when I had the trans in my 04 rebuilt by Mike and his crew, I asked about running Amsoil Torque Drive. He said hold off for at least one change to allow the frictions and steels to bed themselves. Once the bedding happens, you can make the change.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I was told way back when that’s valvoline dex/merc which is dex 3 reg stuff. No idea if that’s changed
I don't know the current formulation, But Valvoline was Private labeling the Walmart Super Tech fluids. I don't believe that has changed.

In the past, The labels showed they were filled in the same place. Now they just say distributed by Walmart out of there Arkansas headquarters.

For the longest time, People I know wouldnt touch it and it sat on the shelf at the local stores. When I showed them the label with the adress and explained that all oils are regulated and have to meet whatever spec is advertised they started thinking twice. I Ran there trans fluid in the past with out issue.
I use there oil when I do flushes or new engine start ups where I drain the fluid right away.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't know the current formulation, But Valvoline was Private labeling the Walmart Super Tech fluids. I don't believe that has changed.

In the past, The labels showed they were filled in the same place. Now they just say distributed by Walmart out of there Arkansas headquarters.

For the longest time, People I know wouldnt touch it and it sat on the shelf at the local stores. When I showed them the label with the adress and explained that all oils are regulated and have to meet whatever spec is advertised they started thinking twice. I Ran there trans fluid in the past with out issue.
I use there oil when I do flushes or new engine start ups where I drain the fluid right away.
Project farm also did some testing on various oils. Well maybe not the best testing it did show that supertech did hold it's own against the other name brands. Didn't come out on top but beat out many others. I have no issues using or recommending it for when it's appropriate. I don't use it as my main oil but might keep a bottle or two for topping up. O,r in my Jetta's transmission, etc

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Project farm also did some testing on various oils. Well maybe not the best testing it did show that supertech did hold it's own against the other name brands. Didn't come out on top but beat out many others. I have no issues using or recommending it for when it's appropriate. I don't use it as my main oil but might keep a bottle or two for topping up. O,r in my Jetta's transmission, etc
I didn't see that one. But same here.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I buy Lucas SureShift by the 5 gal, seems to work fine. Summit has it for under $90. Never heard of this Starfire fluid, and didn't see it listed for the price the OP said
I looked at the pricing wrong, it was $75 per 5 Gallons online, I picked some up today at Napa for $85. Ive been running it for probably 100,000 miles or more, its been flawless so far, im not easy on the truck either.