Allison 6sp: standalone trans cooler

pmason92

Dec 2, 2012
Madera, CA
Anyone bypass the radiator and put a standalone auxillary transmission cooler vs the stock setup or ppe? If so, what route did you take and where did you mount?

Also curious what psi is my allison 6sp is pushing stock ans built?

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I bypassed it and went through the stock trans cooler. No issues to date after 2 years. I should add that I'm running a custom bumper with an air ram that pushes a lot of air to the trans cooler. 210°-215° is the most I have seen.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So a remote mounted trans oil cooler would be good if it had a fan that ran all the time?

There is no airflow below 35 mph so a stand alone cooler cannot handle the low speed heat. It needs the radiator heat exchanger to do the initial heat knockdown. You might get away with it if you don't do any heavy stuff.
Putting fans on a stand alone will help a lot but it must be on all the time. If it's not it will block air through the stack. If you wind up doing this, use the fan as a puller as it is more effective.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I bypassed it and went through the stock coIr. No issues to date after 2 years. I should add that I'm running a custom bumper with an air ram that pushes a lot of air to the trans cooler. 210°-215° is the most I have seen.

I tried that and it never worked. Fact is nothing cools better than water.

Chisled racing made me a custon ice/water trans cooler and for racing it rocks!120 max

Mike L never mentiond staging, that is hard in converters and heats the trans fast!