Spun main bearing

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Looks like a lubrication problem to me. Sorry about that Mike. I would not put this engine together untill problem is solved. It will happen again whatever it is. Bring in some experts.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I wonder if the gear went on the pump and then lack of lubrication caused the faliure or if they went at the same time?

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
I wonder if the gear went on the pump and then lack of lubrication caused the faliure or if they went at the same time?

That is what I was wondering, I saw it sit at 0 psi at idle for a second or two when Mike brought it down, so there was definitely lack of lubrication.

Hard to make pressure when the pump gear has no teeth.

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Looks like a lubrication problem to me. Sorry about that Mike. I would not put this engine together untill problem is solved. It will happen again whatever it is. Bring in some experts.

I think he is sourcing another block, and we are having a good machine shop locally here do all the work on that block. Should be purposefully built when it is done.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
That is what I was wondering, I saw it sit at 0 psi at idle for a second or two when Mike brought it down, so there was definitely lack of lubrication.

Hard to make pressure when the pump gear has no teeth.

I wonder if this will be a future issue with LMMs. I would hate to see this starting to pop up on othere trucks. witht the gear coming apart or nut coming off whtever made the pump go south

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I wonder if this will be a future issue with LMMs. I would hate to see this starting to pop up on othere trucks. witht the gear coming apart or nut coming off whtever made the pump go south

It happened on Casper, Pat got it shut down quick enough, but did lose a turbo.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Interesting do we have any idea why or how this happens ? or is it another random thing like cracked pistons ?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Thanks chad...

Hey thats a good looking trailer, lol.

I have 2 LMM motors I am looking into right now, waiting to hear back on one soon then I will get it coming this way. Gotta get this thing up an running, Iv'e already made 2 truck payments without driving it :eek:

My theroy is I spun a main bad enough to create a problem for the oil pump. At first it was vise versa, but after talking about it and the location of the bearing, it looks like that may have been the case.

I had a pretty good noise with it when I was down at Pat and Kats party and on the way home oil pressure and everything felt fine, then after I rolled into vegas I lost oil press. Im pretty sure the knock was there all along, I knew I heard it from the get go.

Thanks for the best wishes guys, it will be soon and will be running again, man oh man I cant wait.....

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Thanks chad...

Hey thats a good looking trailer, lol.

I have 2 LMM motors I am looking into right now, waiting to hear back on one soon then I will get it coming this way. Gotta get this thing up an running, Iv'e already made 2 truck payments without driving it :eek:

My theroy is I spun a main bad enough to create a problem for the oil pump. At first it was vise versa, but after talking about it and the location of the bearing, it looks like that may have been the case.

I had a pretty good noise with it when I was down at Pat and Kats party and on the way home oil pressure and everything felt fine, then after I rolled into vegas I lost oil press. Im pretty sure the knock was there all along, I knew I heard it from the get go.

Thanks for the best wishes guys, it will be soon and will be running again, man oh man I cant wait.....

I just hope the straps hold:eek: