LBZ: Something is really f'd up now.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
So here's the story: a few months ago I limped my built trans, no big deal was gonna have my builder refresh it in February. Figured I could limp it through winter. So one day I get stupid and put it on tune 5, run it hard through the first 3 gears and my need for speed is satisfied for the time being. So the next day it's about 5 degrees outside and I start the truck to let it warm up, it high idles for 5 minutes or whatever, then it just dies all of a sudden, right in my driveway. Pukes coolant out the overflow also. So I pop the hood and take the cap off the resy and it barfs cold coolant everywhere, like tons of psi on the system. So I put the cap back on and try to start it, and it sounds like the starter is engaging into the flywheel but won't turn it over. I assume blown hg and hydrolocked and pull all the glow plugs and it still won't turn over. I jump the starter with a wrench and same thing. So I give up. Let it sit for a few weeks. I get curious and I check the oil and trans fluid. Oil looks great. But the trans fluid is like half way up the dipstick. And I'm anal about keeping the level where it needs to b. It's like 18" up the stick. Almost like I'm making trans fluid. I am completely stumped and don't know where to go from here. I do know when it warms up I'm going to try to put my 3/4" breaker bar on the balancer bolt and see if I can turn it by hand. Any input or ideas?

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I wondered that but the trans fluid looks normal to me. But that's an idea, I could drain some fluid out and see what it looks like.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If the converter drained back into the trans, its gunna look really full. mine will do this after sitting for a week. you also can not check trans fluid level without the rig running or its going to look really high

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I can understand that but in all the years I've owned this truck I've never seen the fluid level this high. It's stupid how far up it is on the dip stick. But maybe from sitting it has drained the converter. I was wondering if somehow something in the trans siezed up. I just hate to pull the motor and then it turns out to b the trans.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I can understand that but in all the years I've owned this truck I've never seen the fluid level this high. It's stupid how far up it is on the dip stick. But maybe from sitting it has drained the converter. I was wondering if somehow something in the trans siezed up. I just hate to pull the motor and then it turns out to b the trans.

then disconnect the converter bolts and see if you can turn the motor over by hand via the balancer bolt

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Gonna be hard to get the converter bolts out with it locked up

good point lol. unless the converter its self locked up though, i cant see how the trans will have much to do with locking the motor up as the converter should still spin

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
good point lol. unless the converter its self locked up though, i cant see how the trans will have much to do with locking the motor up as the converter should still spin

That's the problem. The trans and converter would both have to be locked up.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
So here's the story: a few months ago I limped my built trans, no big deal was gonna have my builder refresh it in February. Figured I could limp it through winter. So one day I get stupid and put it on tune 5, run it hard through the first 3 gears and my need for speed is satisfied for the time being. So the next day it's about 5 degrees outside and I start the truck to let it warm up, it high idles for 5 minutes or whatever, then it just dies all of a sudden, right in my driveway. Pukes coolant out the overflow also. So I pop the hood and take the cap off the resy and it barfs cold coolant everywhere, like tons of psi on the system. So I put the cap back on and try to start it, and it sounds like the starter is engaging into the flywheel but won't turn it over. I assume blown hg and hydrolocked and pull all the glow plugs and it still won't turn over. I jump the starter with a wrench and same thing. So I give up. Let it sit for a few weeks. I get curious and I check the oil and trans fluid. Oil looks great. But the trans fluid is like half way up the dipstick. And I'm anal about keeping the level where it needs to b. It's like 18" up the stick. Almost like I'm making trans fluid. I am completely stumped and don't know where to go from here. I do know when it warms up I'm going to try to put my 3/4" breaker bar on the balancer bolt and see if I can turn it by hand. Any input or ideas?

Take your glow plugs out and see if it will turn over.

He already did.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I don't have anything to add as far as answers go, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues, but FWIW

I've got the dipstick tube off my truck right now cuz the turbo is out, 3-4 days after I yanked the tube I started seeing drips of trans fluid, and eventually (now) I've got old rags down there soaking up the fluid and I'd say there is easily 6-8 cups of fluid that came out. I called my trans guy about it, and he said it was the converter draining out and that it would fill up the dipstick tube if it were on there.

Which leads to another potential gremlin, the weld on the dipstick tube that connects the mounting bracket to the tube can crack when being manipulated to fit around an aftermarket downpipe, when the converter drains back into the pan it can also (and does) fill the dipstick tube fluid "can" leak from there if the weld cracked, it's easy enough to check, cover one end with your thumb or finger and blow into it...

Hopefully reading this calms your fears a little, as the super full transmission would seem "normal" in your case, as of now....

Good luck man

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I don't have anything to add as far as answers go, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues, but FWIW

I've got the dipstick tube off my truck right now cuz the turbo is out, 3-4 days after I yanked the tube I started seeing drips of trans fluid, and eventually (now) I've got old rags down there soaking up the fluid and I'd say there is easily 6-8 cups of fluid that came out. I called my trans guy about it, and he said it was the converter draining out and that it would fill up the dipstick tube if it were on there.

Which leads to another potential gremlin, the weld on the dipstick tube that connects the mounting bracket to the tube can crack when being manipulated to fit around an aftermarket downpipe, when the converter drains back into the pan it can also (and does) fill the dipstick tube fluid "can" leak from there if the weld cracked, it's easy enough to check, cover one end with your thumb or finger and blow into it...

Hopefully reading this calms your fears a little, as the super full transmission would seem "normal" in your case, as of now....

Good luck man
Jason I know it can be done keeping the passenger side dipstick tube but save your self aggravation and get the drivers side dipstick tube its so much nicer.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Jason I know it can be done keeping the passenger side dipstick tube but save your self aggravation and get the drivers side dipstick tube its so much nicer.

Yeah good point, I was thinking about installing the drivers side tube when I put everything back together....where does it end up? in the engine bay that is, when using a drivers side dipstick???

Thanks for the advise:thumb:

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Yeah good point, I was thinking about installing the drivers side tube when I put everything back together....where does it end up? in the engine bay that is, when using a drivers side dipstick???

Thanks for the advise:thumb:

When I went to install mine it was ending up right at the glow plug controller on a lbz engine. I never actually used it because I wanted to keep the gpc where it was.