Something Interesting

rbell6

Dec 6, 2015
Let us know what is causing that chain slapping noise when you rev it up in gear (only noticed it on PTO trucks) kinda sounds like a drum slapping the case or maybe a chain of some sort?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Let us know what is causing that chain slapping noise when you rev it up in gear (only noticed it on PTO trucks) kinda sounds like a drum slapping the case or maybe a chain of some sort?

where did that info come from? are there short bed trucks out there with PTO's?? long beds and duallys have not been made yet. I never saw an option for putting a PTO on the truck when ordering either for a 2500hd, only for a high idle option.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The PTO just might fit because it looks pretty tucked in. It would be pretty tight next to the exhaust.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
For the guys that don't do Facebook. Here's some pics of what has been found in the 10L1000.

Input shaft/main shaft all 1 piece.

Compared to an 01-19 input shaft

"They're" saying the converter resembles a Ford unit.

One of the planetaries compared to an 01-19 planetary. Gigantic much.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Holy shit that thing has a lot of sealing rings/holes on the shaft, if someones ever able to push one these hard someday i'm betting the input shaft sais byebye :D

Thanks for the pics I don't do facefuk :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Holy shit that thing has a lot of sealing rings/holes on the shaft, if someones ever able to push one these hard someday i'm betting the input shaft sais byebye :D

Thanks for the pics I don't do facefuk :D

na, look at the size and where the old one usually snaps. Thats been done away with.

That trans is massive

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I seem to remember a few of us in another thread talking about it being a Ferd trans and getting some hate for it :rofl: maybe it’ll hold. I’m sure mike has had his fingers all in one by now and then some :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I seem to remember a few of us in another thread talking about it being a Ferd trans and getting some hate for it :rofl: maybe it’ll hold. I’m sure mike has had his fingers all in one by now and then some :D

GM couldn't make up their mind if they were going to use the 9 speed Alli or something else. The 9 speed is shelved over at Allison and don't know what they are going to use it for. I think GM and Ford decided on the 10 speed that they built together and just made it twice as big. Ford took the lead on this development and my buddy at Allison changed the valve body to his specs.
So far it looks like TCM tuning is going to play a big part for this trans. A new pump and valvebody might be a big part of every build. Too soon to tell. I just ordered a stand for mounting this monster.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
GM couldn't make up their mind if they were going to use the 9 speed Alli or something else. The 9 speed is shelved over at Allison and don't know what they are going to use it for. I think GM and Ford decided on the 10 speed that they built together and just made it twice as big. Ford took the lead on this development and my buddy at Allison changed the valve body to his specs.
So far it looks like TCM tuning is going to play a big part for this trans. A new pump and valvebody might be a big part of every build. Too soon to tell. I just ordered a stand for mounting this monster.

Good info Mike. It seems like GM has a pretty hard time getting their TCM tuning right since 2010 ish. I remember lots of complaints, especially in HD gas trucks, that shifts felt funny. Buddy of mine got one and called me worried his trans was going out. Turned out after some research to be horrible trans tuning.

As far as the new “Allison”, seems to me it’s a bastard trans haha parts designed here parts tweaked there... I guess only time will tell how it all came together. Looking forward to seeing what you find in the beast. I know next to nothing about how autos work, so every little bit is intriguing to me:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
My '16 GMC 6.2 with the 8L90 shifts like shit and there is no fix. It will be for sale soon.

Jun 1, 2012
Just because it is a ford doesn't mean it is bad... what do you think mike? Allison wouldn't have signed off on it if it was crap i hope.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk