So excited!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Heck, I cant wait to read catman's build thread. I have this nagging feeling it'll make me wish I would've just gone the LS route with mine.

HA after I did my LS1 WS6 motor in my jeep I swore off carb motors and old small blocks. The CJ7 has 3:54 gears with the 4L60E. and it will downshift to 2 it really surprises a lot of people with the old whit Cj pulls on them when they want to pass. a couple years ago I had some dodge tailgating me and wanted by really bad I let the old girl eat and walked away from him and was up around a 100 or so with no doors on it. The definition of white knuckle ride with that thing at a 100 lol. someday I will do 4:56's then it will be really quick

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
I will do that tomorrow. I have a K10 and did a C10 79' so I have both covered. My cruise works, air works, 86 radiator, very little mod to the frame, ( just for the exhaust on pass side) also just addressed how easy the power steering is with the LS pump on the old gear box. That made it nicer to drive. The steering was so easy there was no feedback from the road. And of doing a 4wd I know the options for getting VSS to the ECM and what T cases to use. So yeah I'll start a thread. Lol

Do you have the cruise working with a drive by wire or cable? This is something I need to look into. Very glad Josh chose a LS to play with!!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Do you have the cruise working with a drive by wire or cable? This is something I need to look into. Very glad Josh chose a LS to play with!!
'

I have it working with a Drive by wire and if you are thinking about a LS swap and can find a DBW motor do it. don't mess with drive by cable motors. free cruise which if your doing an LS swap why not have that. yes you can have it with DBC but you need the servo motor that operates the throttle body. if you get a DBW motor make sure to get the pedal assembly and the TAC module from the fire wall. that's all you need.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
'

I have it working with a Drive by wire and if you are thinking about a LS swap and can find a DBW motor do it. don't mess with drive by cable motors. free cruise which if your doing an LS swap why not have that. yes you can have it with DBC but you need the servo motor that operates the throttle body. if you get a DBW motor make sure to get the pedal assembly and the TAC module from the fire wall. that's all you need.

He already has an LS swapped truck. He just wants me to do it so I will figure out how to fix all the little annoying things he doesn't like about his swap. I think the first thing he needs to do is install a cam.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
He already has an LS swapped truck. He just wants me to do it so I will figure out how to fix all the little annoying things he doesn't like about his swap. I think the first thing he needs to do is install a cam.

JoshH your such a mind reader!! Does the 4.8 engine have variable valve timing? That has been my biggest problem.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
JoshH your such a mind reader!! Does the 4.8 engine have variable valve timing? That has been my biggest problem.
I think that depends on the year. I want to say new-ish ones have VVT, just like the 5.3L.

You can either keep the VVT and adjust it as needed for the new cam, or install a VVT delete kit. If you do the delete, you need to do something to the tune so it doesn't get mad, IIRC. Since most performance cams aren't designed with VVT in mind, you will probably want to do a delete, or just be very conservative with the VVT parameters so you don't smack the valves into the pistons :baby:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I saw it and read it. Thanks so much for sharing your info!