snow tires

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well my friend adeso :) I live in Ottawa Canada and let me tell you it's the perfect place to test tires for snow/ice traction. On my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee I had Michelin LTX AT2's and even they didn't bear the montain symbol I was braving the weather while other cars were getting stuck. Well it isn't fair since others didn't really have 4wd all time either but it was heck of a good tire. Now for snow/ice traction there is nothing better than a tire dedicated for snow/ice. Good way to tell is if it's got the montain symbol. For light truck tires although a good AT tire like the Michelin LTX or LTX AT2 never let me down in snow/ice but can't be studded. I recently purchased General Tire Grabber AT2 which can be studded and have the montain symbol. Nice grip and not too loud but I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow/ice yet because of the blown hg. Everything I read about them tho indicate that it will be amazing. For my cars I have tried Michelin X-ICE which are amazing and have a superb thread life. I have also had Nokian's Hakkapella (something like that...) which have amazing traction. I tried others too and in all honesty a dedicated snow/ice tire is going to perform well no matter what in that environment. For many years I have driven good all season tires on my cars in winter mostly because I didn't want to have nothing to do with a second set of tires to store. Now it's when you have to do your research and find out if it's going to be good in winter or not.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Hey just noticed that you mentionned Nokian's! I have those and they are great. I can't tell you about thread life but they will get you around for sure. Dedicated winter tire tho... If you want all season great traction which is nice I would consider the General Tire Grabber AT2 like I mentionned. They are rated with the montain symbol and can be studded like you liked. You can run them summer/winter without having to swap. Not too loud and look absolutely great.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
:roflmao::roflmao: now thats awesome! last time we did something like that, a buddy and i bought a pos subaru to beat the tar out of. we were doin a competition on who could get the most 360s in one try down a dirt road that was snow packed. my last try to beat my buddy (who got 6 spins starting at 50mph lol) i got 4 spins in and the car went off the only under road drainage ditch we didnt see. put it right on its lid. no one was hurt as it was one of them slow rolls but good times :D

Ha ha ha! That's awesome. We did all of it in a pos Subaru too. We swapped the motor out and moved up to the resort in it. 4wd justy.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'm in the Nokian camp. Hakkapalittas rule the winter.

Seriously, who knows better than a Finn about winter driving!

RAW Details

Sep 30, 2012
Blizzacs are junk compared to Winterforce tires. I'll never put anything but Winterforces on any of my cars/trucks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I just put blizzaks on my car. So far i hate them but snow hasnt hit yet.

Loud, noisy, and killing my mpgs.

The Michelin ltx winters i had on the truck last winter were great. Put them on the van for this winter.
You will love them on snow and ice.I can't believe they are noisey the rubber is so soft they are like a new pair of sneakers.And the will wear out fast on dry pavement.Just put the Altimax winter tires on the daughters car they are just about the same as the Blizzaks.And yes they will hurt your mileage.When we got 20 inches during a blizzard the wife drove 10 miles and almost got home in our 97 grand prix.The car was pushing so much snow and packing it in the motor compartment it knocked the serpentine belt off and she got stuck in the middle of the road.I got stopped a couple times in the d max trying to get her.
This are some great tires.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
You will love them on snow and ice.I can't believe they are noisey the rubber is so soft they are like a new pair of sneakers.And the will wear out fast on dry pavement.Just put the Altimax winter tires on the daughters car they are just about the same as the Blizzaks.And yes they will hurt your mileage.When we got 20 inches during a blizzard the wife drove 10 miles and almost got home in our 97 grand prix.The car was pushing so much snow and packing it in the motor compartment it knocked the serpentine belt off and she got stuck in the middle of the road.I got stopped a couple times in the d max trying to get her.
This are some great tires.
Steady cruising is ok. Its on acceleration im really hearing them. Let off the go pedal and they quiet right down.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I'm in the Nokian camp. Hakkapalittas rule the winter.

Seriously, who knows better than a Finn about winter driving!

I have these for my wifes car. It will climb our steep driveway better than my truck with all terrains in 4wd. The tires are nothing short of amazing but they aren't cheap.

Firestone Winterforce tires are one of the best bang for the buck snow tires out there as well. I would have gotten these for my truck but they stoped making a 265 that year.

If you want something cheaper but good, I put some knock off brand snow tires on my truck 1 year before I went to storing it winters. They are GT Maxmiler WT-1000. They worked great. Here's a pic-

ChinaTireMidPhoto_2011927111520.png

pud383

Dec 23, 2012
lake odessa mi
Looking for a good set of snow tires for my little jeep, thinking of just getting studded tires and since I will have it parked in a garage just change them out if it is going to be nice for a few weeks/throw them on if the weather looks bad VS fighting with chains. They are ok with plows around here, but it can go months and not get warm enough to melt stuff off so I would think ice/hardpacked snow would be as much as an issue as snow. looking around in the 225/75R15 range or a little larger
The blizzacks are good so are the nokians (that's what I have now) but the general altimax artics are the best out there better treadwear than the blizzaks
I had them on my Tahoe and my car trust me u won't need studs

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Jeep is still stuck down in LA, I'm rolling around on the dunes covering my truck in this crap, I can already see some rust on the tie rods :mad:

The dunes suck on anything hardpacked but love the soft snow