LB7: Smoke and Moisture Questions: 2003 Chevy 2500HD

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Back Story: I just bought this 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LS, crew cab, short box (with EGR). It had 135,900mi on it when I bought it 2 months ago. I now have 140,000mi. It is basically stock, with a 4in downpipe-back straight through exhaust. I am a motorcycle mechanic, and I do all my own work on vehicles, so naturally I changed the oil and filter (Rotella Triple and K/N filter), and the fuel filter with a K/N as soon as I bought it. I run 8oz of Diesel Kleen in every tank, and I have no haze at idle. Truck starts perfectly and idles smooth. I get 15mph in the city, 17 on the highway average of 70mph.

The Topics: First, on very limited occasions I have noticed (since the Straight Pipe install) light gray, almost white, smoke come from the exhaust when I revved it to 2500rpm. Today though, I noticed it a lot more. When I say a lot more, I mean there was a haze behind me, but no more than a normal Peterbuilt powering up a hill. Almost unrecognizable unless you are looking. Conditions were 70 degrees =/- 3 with humidity in the 30% range. But the Interstate was extremely hazy. It would only show the light haze at over 70mph (2250+ rpm). Seemed like if I accelerated to 80 and let off, there was more, but only until I reached 70. Then it would go away. Truck runs at 185 degrees or less (I've only seen it reach 200 when I was accelerating hard, and only on rare occasions in the past). Tranny temp is usually at 150 degrees (again, only time I see it rise above that is when I am pushing the truck hard, but I baby her most of the time).

Second thing: the entire underside of my truck, more so the passenger than the driver side, is wet. Especially after a long drive. The liquid has no taste, no smell, no color and no slipperiness/texture. It really just feels like water. When I park, the accumulator drips a lot. There is a lot of water on the frame right underneath the accumulator. Aside from that, there is the usual oil residue around the back of the motor / front of tranny, and a little tranny fluid around the tranny/Tcase. The truck is 13y/o, I expect that and it never drips. Only drip is off the AC. But yet when I park, the underside looks like I drove through a puddle. I am in NC; could the accumulator remove that much water?

Last notes: When I arrived today, I let the truck cool and set for 10 minutes, then checked all the fluids. Every level was right where it was supposed to be (Oil, Coolant, Trans Fluid, Power Steering, Brake). No diesel in the oil, coolant a perfect red color. No haze and no significant smell from the exhaust.

Any tips or insight is greatly appreciated. I am hyper-vigilant when it comes to my vehicles, so I am just trying to either make sure everything is all right, or figure out what I need to fix before there's any damage.

Thanks!

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Well thank you Vmyrhaug for replying, but I am surprised that out of 102 people, no one has any comments on the smoke/haze question. Is there somewhere else I need to submit ask this question that I can get an answer? I tried looking through the "Smoke" posts on this forum, but most involved a catastrophic failure of some sort, and billowing smoke. Neither of which I have. I would really like to get some ideas here.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Oiled K&N? Also how do your balance rates look? Oil consumption/production?

My 04 would smoke a little after idling to warm up last fall when I got it. Balance rates were starting to get iffy but both thermostats were out, it would not get above 145ish, and I assume it allowed carbon buildup. Changed thermostats and have religiously ran an additive in the tank and my rates all dropped from looking like they were going, to well in the acceptable range.

There is also a couple write up out there about using the GM injector cleaner and they all seemed to have good results restoring their rates.

I don't have any experience with the EGR bs, maybe something there, but 99.9% sure you're looking at either really dirty injectors or bad injectors ? did they still just vent the crankcase to atmosphere or run a pcv. I wouldn't think it was oil since you say it's a whitish gray.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I just thought that you're over-analyzing things, so why reply? If its not throwing codes and no abnormal noises, just enjoy your truck.

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Trust me TheBac, I'm not trying to be rude. I don't mind people telling me I'm over thinking it. Sometimes I even need it. I just don't want to have any major problems I can't get ahead of. I haven't noticed any consumption on coolant, but I marked the coolant reservoir today to begin measuring. The only reason I am concerned is because I will be moving from NC to LA in January, and I really don't want to get stranded towing all my stuff.

Will the truck throw codes for an injector stuck open, cracked EGR cooler or coolant getting in around the injectors? It seems to be blowing smoke at lower speeds now, but as far as I can tell, no burning of anything aside from fuel.

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Ok so I did another test tonight on the way home from work. I didn't run the AC to see if there was any other moisture there aside from the water the dryer was dripping. There was a lot. There's a steady drip of Diesel coming from vicinity of Cyl 8. I took a picture. I'm going to see how to post it. The fuel is on the top of the exhaust port, around the side toward the turbo and underneath. There is more dripping from behind, but still some coming from on top. Only around the number 8 port. I had my wife hold the RPM at 2k and continued to monitor. No change in the drip. Had my wife rev to 2500, no smoke from the Exhaust. Tomorrow I am going to have my buddy drive the truck and see if the smoke is coming from the tail pipe, or just fuel being poured out onto the exhaust manifold and evaporating.

Any thoughts so far?

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 37

fairbanksr6

Jun 22, 2015
Rapid city, SD
Ok so I did another test tonight on the way home from work. I didn't run the AC to see if there was any other moisture there aside from the water the dryer was dripping. There was a lot. There's a steady drip of Diesel coming from vicinity of Cyl 8. I took a picture. I'm going to see how to post it. The fuel is on the top of the exhaust port, around the side toward the turbo and underneath. There is more dripping from behind, but still some coming from on top. Only around the number 8 port. I had my wife hold the RPM at 2k and continued to monitor. No change in the drip. Had my wife rev to 2500, no smoke from the Exhaust. Tomorrow I am going to have my buddy drive the truck and see if the smoke is coming from the tail pipe, or just fuel being poured out onto the exhaust manifold and evaporating.

Any thoughts so far?

Just so we're on the same page Cylinder #8 will be the one closest to the steering wheel. In case you are actually referring to #7 which is rear passenger side. Just want to make sure that there is no confusion on that. My first priority would be to find that fuel leak at any cost. there should be no fuel leaking at all unless you have a lift pump installed. If you do not have a lift pump that means some way somehow you are leaking fuel in the high pressure side. IE without liftpump the cp3 will suck air in causing a no start usually but will never leak fuel. Think about it like a cracked soft drink straw.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Any thoughts so far?

unplug the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the CP3 with the truck idling, then start checking every hard line connection at the fuel rail on the passenger side there. look at the connections at the tops of the injectors where the hard lines are as well. you should see some decent drips. run your fingers under the rail feeling for fuel as well. The truck will sound like its going to blow apart when you do this but its ok, it will be just fine while you test.

if you find a leaky fitting, try giving it a good tightening up. they need to be pretty tight to seal up. if it will not tighten up, take it off and get us a pic of the sealing surface from both ends.

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Yeah I meant Cyl 7, passenger side firewall. So I took a better look at it in the daylight. I actually saw a post about someone having a similar problem from a while back in my forum wanderings, and figured I was on to something. I also took a closer look at the driver's side as well, and there is fuel running down the side, and also in the valley. So as a last test, since it only smoked when I got on the throttle hard (which I rarely go over 2K rpm, I like testing my fuel conservation) I drove over lunch, getting in it hard until I saw some smoke. Then I slammed on the brakes, pulled over and popped the hood. Lots of fuel evaporation coming off the motor. Primarily passenger side, but also driver's. I'm going to explore this considerably tomorrow night and Saturday. I don't have any problems starting, so I don't think it's the CP3 plugs some guys were pushing out. My motor is absolutely spotless. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor clean. But I noticed under the resonator, there was a lot of build up. I'm going to start tracing all the fuel lines and see what's going on. And no, I don't have a lift pump.

I'm just glad it's a leak and not something with the injectors. I need to go to the dealership and just find out if they have been replaced so I can stop fretting about WHEN they are going to fail. Lol

fairbanksr6

Jun 22, 2015
Rapid city, SD
unplug the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the CP3 with the truck idling, then start checking every hard line connection at the fuel rail on the passenger side there. look at the connections at the tops of the injectors where the hard lines are as well. you should see some decent drips. run your fingers under the rail feeling for fuel as well. The truck will sound like its going to blow apart when you do this but its ok, it will be just fine while you test.

if you find a leaky fitting, try giving it a good tightening up. they need to be pretty tight to seal up. if it will not tighten up, take it off and get us a pic of the sealing surface from both ends.

Try this one first. He is telling you the test. The other way is to have someone command max rail pressure with a scan tool while idle and look for leaks.

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
I tried everything today aside from pulling the AC compressor out, but I couldn't reach down to get the plug off the regulator. I had the intake and resonator off, but with the EGR, I couldn't reach anything. Plus, there's a lot of liquid down in the valley, and I don't have the time or money to do exploratory surgery. Not to mention a back up car if I can't get it back together by Monday. I think it's best if I just take it to the shop. I'd have no problem tearing down to the fuel pump if I knew for sure that was it, but I really can't play guessing games right now. Not with my primary vehicle, and a move coming up soon. I'll let you guys know once I get a diagnostic done.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You really should find someone with a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool to give you a hand with the diagnosing.

vinhonjon

Sep 12, 2016
Ok so I have a really long story about what has happened to my truck over the last weeks, which I will write up in time, but currently my truck is in the second shop. The highly experienced mechanic believes the ECM is fried. I'm just trying to get it back on the road. I have a Cali emissions model. Can I put a Fed ECM in the truck instead of a Cali? This would circumnavigate the need for an EFI Live right off the bat for my EGR delete in my mind. But I'm not experienced enough to know the answer, and the guy who is working on my truck has never seen a Cali truck before. What do you guys think?