Slow to turn over...

Johnnymac57

Sep 9, 2024
Florida
Hey guys, I have a 2015 LML. It has been slow to turn over for the past few weeks, replaced the batteries two days ago (low CCA) issue still there. I am thinking the starter is going out...…. any suggestions or other possible routes? Thanks in advance, -J

Johnnymac57

Sep 9, 2024
Florida
Diagnostics came back with no issues found. All connections are tight and secure. Thinking fuel pump or starter?..... truck has 108k on it. Dealer says keep running until something else happens or it doesn't start..... I dont know what else to do or to replace without just shooting in the dark.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What RPMs is it turning over at?

What is the battery(s) voltage when cranking?

Current draw on batteries while cranking?

What is the voltage at the starter during cranking?

Does it start normally?

Fuel pump has no bearing on cranking speed unless it's seized

Starter can be bad but the above tests should tell you if it's the starter or not. We aren't going to be able to remotely test these things for you so, you are going to have to do them yourself. If you don't have the tools or knowledge then take it to another shop for a second opinion.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Diagnostics came back with no issues found. All connections are tight and secure. Thinking fuel pump or starter?..... truck has 108k on it. Dealer says keep running until something else happens or it doesn't start..... I dont know what else to do or to replace without just shooting in the dark.

Man if you only knew how many times we get trucks from dealers with “nothing found wrong” or “you need everything under the sun” and they couldn’t be further from the truth.

On the receipt they gave you. Did they say if they performed a voltage drop test? If so, what’s the mv found for both positive and negative?

Reactions: Ron Nielson

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
My rcsb was doing the same thing. Slow as anything to turn over occasionally it would throw codes when it was dragging. I replaced both the positive and negative battery cables and it starts perfect again.