Slipping torque converter?

StuntHeavy

Jun 26, 2010
Think I may have some issues with my torque converter. LB7, stock trans, running a 400whp tune.

In regular mode, if I get down on it (1/2-3/4 throttle), revs go to about 3100rpm, boost comes up to about 28psi, and while the truck accelerates, it's not spectacular.

In tow/haul mode under the same throttle, revs are about 2200 give or take, and acceleration is much much quicker.

Under either circumstance I've noticed under full throttle situations I've noticed shifts slightly hanging, then flaring before clicking off the next gear.

No codes, fluid is dark though. Temp is never over 210, usually hovers between 200-210, ambient temp is in the 90s.

Goal is to save enough to purchase a Gmax 5/ML Converter before Christmas. I'd just like to know what kind of situation I'm currently in.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You need to scan the TCC command and rpm slip after converter is locked and that will give you the answer. RPM slip better be 0.

MrUPS

Mar 18, 2009
Northwest Pa
now when you say temp are you talking tranny temp? If so I've been told that 200 on a stock tranny thats not being worked is to hot. I'm not expert by any means. My tranny used to run under 150 all the time no matter what. Lately I've been very near 200. Not sure what the problem is yet but I'm leaning toward a hurt converter.

StuntHeavy

Jun 26, 2010
You need to scan the TCC command and rpm slip after converter is locked and that will give you the answer. RPM slip better be 0.

Appreciate the help.

Found TCCSLIP in EFILive, not seeing TCC Command though.

Only 'commanded' I've found in the tranmission tab is " TCC Pressure control solenoid commanded pressure" and "Commanded gear"

Last edited: