sled pulling basics

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
so seld pulling in az not really a big event but they do happen and a friend of mine helps set them up well he allways talking crap to me (hes a cummins guy as is everybody here)

because i just watch i dont have the truck built for sled pulling i dont wanna break stuff so his crap talking has finally gotten to me so i got some questions

1. what all do i need to sled pull like tierod sleeves enough or should i do the hole frontend with like kryptonite tierods center link ect i know i gotta drop the tbars not a big deal

2. i would like to get a set of tires just for pulling what is a good tire and what size i dont wanna go to big with the tbar cranked down could i do a 285/75/16 or do i need to go smaller like 265 ect i have several sets of stock rims so i would just use them

3. traction bars will caltracts work or do i need to get some long bars???

4. the sled pulls dont really have any rules so i would like to do some airbags like just some ride rite or is there something better??? also for towing would be nice

so bascilly i wanna just have a do all truck (my 06 lbz) wanna sled pull drag race and still be able to drive it so i wanna gear it towards that thank guys any suggestions would be greatley app

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
I wish they had sled pulling in az, but I have to go back up to utah to pull. Where do you guys normally pull at, I may be interested in pulling a couple times in workstock. Anyways, I always figured atleast sleeves and braces is a good idea. I dont have any experience with caltracs but I know long bars definitely help with sled pulling and airing down especially. A lot of the setups ive seen people put blocks in the rear to help as well. And make sure you get a plenty beefy hitch too.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah there mostly put on at the fairs around here there is a pull comeing up on the 26 in safford az at the fair grounds if u wanna check it out its going to be a fund raiser for something i cant rember and there in no way a high end just a bunch of rednecks getting together but it makes for some entertainment lol sadley im working nights the 26 so i cant go:(

duramatt05

Nov 21, 2010
sunderland, Ont
u will need to get a set tie rod sleeves or bigger tierods, and either a straight centerlink or a brace. crank ur torsion bars all the way down.
-have ur truck as close to the weight limit as possible.
-depending on rules, block your rear suspension, probly need 1" of travel.
-long bars would be better then caltracs. clamp your springs, front and rear of axle.
-I use 285/75/16 bfg all terrains, and they work good for me. lower front tire pressure to about 25 psi and i keep the backs at 50 psi.

Do u have Efi live? or any box tuner? lift pump of some sort?

should be the basics. im sure someone will chime in if i forgot something

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Yes you need sleaves, I have seen a bunch of trucks twist tierods cause of no sleaves. You can use cal-tracs. Some sorta suspension stop to keep the rear drop to a min, you can run a 285, i run a 305/75 16 front all the way down and only a slight rub in reverse & turning. You need to trim the front plastic on the fender a lil, an zip tie the emergancy break cable, lower your front t bars as much as they will go. As far as type of tire depends on your soil I would guess its sandy?, A good all terrain to start, sts truxus are real popular here, i use a baja claw, ive seen bfg all terrains perform well also. If you are already going and watching pulls go look in the pits and see what type of tires everyone else is using

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah thanx for the info guys but i cant go look in the pit because ur talking a sled pull where there are no rules no weight limit or anything of that sort so people just run whatever they have it makes for some entertianment let me tell u but thanx for the help guys now i got some insight on what to go for

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
yeah there mostly put on at the fairs around here there is a pull comeing up on the 26 in safford az at the fair grounds if u wanna check it out its going to be a fund raiser for something i cant rember and there in no way a high end just a bunch of rednecks getting together but it makes for some entertainment lol sadley im working nights the 26 so i cant go:(

Who is throwing it? The Crum boys? They need to advertise this shit a lil better. I would have pulled but going to Cali instead and 3 buddy's dmax's are heading camping. Oh well Oct it is then.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Get a set of sleeves if you can. If not just get a set of ratchet straps for the front end and you'll be fine. Pulled without sleeves many times. :D

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
Get a set of sleeves if you can. If not just get a set of ratchet straps for the front end and you'll be fine. Pulled without sleeves many times. :D

X2 get some sleeves and maybe clamp ur rear springs and have fun
Posted via Mobile Device

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
Who is throwing it? The Crum boys? They need to advertise this shit a lil better. I would have pulled but going to Cali instead and 3 buddy's dmax's are heading camping. Oh well Oct it is then.

yeah its the crum boys i was just told over facebook otherwise i wouldnt have know its going on they probley dont advertise because they dont want anything but there cummins there lol

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
yeah its the crum boys i was just told over facebook otherwise i wouldnt have know its going on they probley dont advertise because they dont want anything but there cummins there lol

wish I could make it, we need to put those cummins boys in there place. I would go but if I break something its a long ways back home lol.