Simple question about fuel gauge

joshpete

Jul 8, 2012
I got a 2001 chevy duramax 2500.The fuel gauge always stays on empty. It throws a code that says somethin about to high of voltage to somethin. Is this fuel gauge problem somthin common. Any ideas whats wrong??

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Lots of issues with the fuel sender float card resistance in the tank, some issues with the cluster for these years.... the code would help so a diag could be posted.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
It could be the stepper motor in the gauge that swings the needle. It could also be the sending unit. There could be other issues with your cluster. I have 2 trucks ('03 &'04) and have replaced both instrument clusters. There is testing that can be done, but it takes a Tech II (usually from the dealer). It is worth the diag cost to make sure you are headed in the right direction.

FWIW, the "code" could be for anything, and not specifically related to your fuel gauge. Need to know the number to make a reasonable guess. If it is an IC problem, somewhere in the list you will probably see a U1000, but again, that is just a guess without knowing the numbers.

joshpete

Jul 8, 2012
Well so heres the thing, earlier when i had the code read, i was using my edge to read the codes. it said somethin bout to high of voltage to sending unit, but im not positive. also, there was a u1000 code i remember. but my edge quit working like 2 weeks ago. the 3 circles light up but the screen has nothing. if u press the menu key and stuff, you can here the little beep noise that it is working but i cant see anything. any ideas there? Also when the edge was working, i used it as a fuel gauge but it always said 100% even though the trucked showed it as past empty.

So today i hooked up my actual code reader and all it showed for codes was a "engine torque circuit" or somethin. Didnt show anything for fuel gauge. Also i noticed the fuel gauge did move over to the full position for like 2 seconds while i was getting the codes.

One more thing, i do not have any backlights for my gauges, including the ones under the radio for the heat and A/C. and i cant see my odometer in the daylight but if its at night i can see it lit up a little bit but not good.

Any help would be appreciated on any of this!