Shocks Shot?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
if you can jounce the front or rear suspension and it keeps going up and down for a couple of seconds...there toast. it should compresss,rebound and stop if there good. bad shocks will beat up your tires too, at that kind of miles, i'd buy new ones if theyve never been replaced:)

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I was thinking about the Ranchos for a while because of the adjustability. With the towing we do I thought it would be nice to be able to stiffen them up before hooking up my 10k+ lbs trailer each weekend. But now I would like to do the level kit and everybody talks about Bilsteins I have been looking into them.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Don't know about Bilsteins for our trucks, but for cars they last forever. I had a set on my Buick that had been on 4 different cars and had close to 300K on them and were still like new:eek:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I replaced my shocks on mine when i got it, HD Bilstiens, kinda stiff but happy none the less!:D Got mine from Summitracing.com

Rebelchevy87

Nov 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
I have 58k on mine now and still have the stockers, I have never been happy with the ride though. I am planning on changing them this spring when its warmer (-15° is too cold to work in an unheated pole barn, changed my exhaust at that temp, Never again).

I was looking at the Monroe Reflex shocks. Anyone have any experience w/ these? I know monroe generally makes a nice product, but I have no experience with the Reflex shocks. They are much cheaper than bilstiens as well (~$40 ea. from rock auto)

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
i had to replace mine at 120000 and got a leveling kit when i changed the shock. I went with rancho 5000's and they work awesome but if you want the adjustability i would go with the 9000's that is realy the only difference

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
not to thread jack but I was wondering if mine were bad too. My truck leans to the drivers side quite a bit.

I was going to put Ranch 9000s on it.

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
not to thread jack but I was wondering if mine were bad too. My truck leans to the drivers side quite a bit.

I was going to put Ranch 9000s on it.

Shocks shouldn't make it lean. You hit a bump really hard? Sounds more like bad springs/torsion/or sway.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I may have bad springs thats what I was kinda wondering. My whole truck leans to the drivers side, my buddies truck and both of our farms trucks do it too.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I may have bad springs thats what I was kinda wondering. My whole truck leans to the drivers side, my buddies truck and both of our farms trucks do it too.

you can always put a couple of turns to the drivers side torsion bar and get it aligned after , if the front is sagging to one side it will show up on the rear as well .

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I have 58k on mine now and still have the stockers, I have never been happy with the ride though. I am planning on changing them this spring when its warmer (-15° is too cold to work in an unheated pole barn, changed my exhaust at that temp, Never again).

I was looking at the Monroe Reflex shocks. Anyone have any experience w/ these? I know monroe generally makes a nice product, but I have no experience with the Reflex shocks. They are much cheaper than bilstiens as well (~$40 ea. from rock auto)

I had both stock, Bilstein yellows, and Monroe Reflex and the best way to describe it is the Monroes are in between the Bils and stock for stiffness. The Bils I'm talking about are the Yellows. I'm very happy with the Monroes.

HOWEVER....Be aware that if you crank the bars a tiny bit, the shock will kill the ride as the Monroe Reflex's are about 1/2 inch shorter than the stock shocks...