Shocks for the truck.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I am getting ready to order shocks for the truck - 2007 lbz 2wd cc/lb, full of fuel and stuff truck weighs 8600:eek: and tows often

is anyone else running the rancho 9000's?:mad:

are they easy to adjust without the wireless control?:mad:

:spit::hug:

Any other suggestions for good shocks?

Going to replace all 4.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
I had Bilsteins and now I have Larry's old Rancho's. The Rancho's are so much better it is unreal. Thanks again Larry.:hug::D

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
I loved my bilsteins until about 35k miles - now they are horrible and will be replaced as soon as I can. They hit hard and the front ones are bouncing too much. Rancho seem to be the less expensive version of the QA1s (for lack of a better way to put it) so I'll give those a shot next or a set of Fox resevoir shocks.

Hopefully, someone who has used both can chime in on their experience with them and what conditions they used them under.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Trentnell has a thread on the QA1's started in this section already. Do a search for QA1's. There are different ones available as some are for lowered trucks, some are for lifted ones. You almost need to just call them to order and get prices but one thing I do know is that they are FN SWEET and FN EXPENSIVE!!!

I am in the market for shocks as well and am going to install Rancho 5000's. I have heard from a couple shops about issues with the 9000's having the adjuster knobs break off in cold weather if they get hit by rocks or if you try to adjust them when it is cold. Don't know anyone personally that has had this happen however.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
pretty sure i'm going with the ranchos.

just hoping a vendor feels pity for me since i goofed around and missed the special.
or maybe they have another better special coming up.:D

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
FWIW..
I had the Bilstein Yellows on my truck and it make the front end a little too "jittery" for my liking. Mind you the roads where I live are kind of lousy. On smooth roads I'm sure they would be a lot better. I went with a set of Monroe Reflex shocks and I'm pretty happy with them. Nice smooth ride that's a little firmer than stock. Smooth but not marshmellow-like. But keep in mind, the Reflex shocks are a good 1/2" shorter than the stock so cranking the t-bars is out of the question without extensions.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
My bilsteins rode fine when they didn't have much wear on them but as they wore out the front end had a lot of chatter in it. I'm not sure how long Larry ran these that I have now but they seem to of lasted longer and have a better ride quality. I have an all purpose truck some towing, some racing, and some daily driving. Haven't done any towing with the rancho's yet but some driving and racing. At the strip they have seemed to of fixed my wheelhop issues completely.:D

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I have the Rancho's available, very competitive pricing if you're interested.

I am:) Can you P.M. me a qoute? I orderd a T.C. lift 2 1/2 weeks ago:rolleyes: with shocks but I think I want to put the Rancho 9000's on my 05 and the T.C. shocks on the 04 work rig if they ever arrive:)

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
The rears showed up yesterday:) Someone musta decided to try out the fronts:confused:

If I can get off my butt I'm going to go put them on in a few minutes...

No instructions and I cant find any on line,

What is each setting for? Which setting for towing heavy, running empty, etc...

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
nevermind just found some instructions, 1 for smooth highway (guess I wont use that setting in MIchigan). 5 for a balanced mix of pavement/rough road. 9 for off road